Join now - be part of our community!

Fix under warranty problem - any help appreciated!

GAntcliff
Visitor

Fix under warranty problem - any help appreciated!

Hello all,

I'm getting to the end of my tether with Sony support so am looking for some words of wisdom.

I purchased a VGN-NW21ZF/S about seven months ago and have been very happy with it, however noticed the other day that two hairline cracks have mysteriously appeared in the case. I have been very careful with the laptop since I bought it, and I am convinced that the cracks are due to bad design. However I have contacted VAIO support and they have simply told me that physical damage is not covered under warranty so I will have to pay to get it fixed - however no-one at Sony has been willing to look at pictures of the cracks, they simply state if it's physical damage I will have to pay for the repairs. I emailed pictures to the support team over a week ago and had no response apart from the normal autoreply, I phoned up today and after being called back by a helpful woman from the service centre she told me unless I paid for the repair she could do nothing to help.

One crack starts on the corner of the MagicGate slot, and seems to be caused by the left hand resting on the laptop. It's just below where your left hand rests on the laptop, and to me seems to be caused by the positioning of the slot just below where your hand rests:

The second crack is above the Motioneye camera, and seems to be caused by opening and shutting the case:

Regardless of whether the cracks above are design faults or not, I am astounded that after paying £800 for a laptop 7 months ago no-one in Sony will even discuss these issues with me unless I pay the best part of £300 to get it collected.

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to how I can progress this with Sony? Or know another way I can contact them which might be more fruitful?

Many thanks in advance.

Gareth

3 REPLIES 3
GAntcliff
Visitor

Anyone? :slight_frown:

Any help or advice appreciated.

Gareth

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gareth and welcome

We are not ignoring you but it is almost impossible for us to establish the cause of your damage from the pictures.

I understand that Thalamus has kindly contacted Sony Vaio-Link on your behalf and asked them to comment on the pictures. All we can do is ask them to look again but there is no guarantee that they will revise their diagnosis.

I'm sure Thalamus will let you know when he hears from Sony.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Anyone?  :slight_frown:

Any help or advice appreciated.

Gareth

Unfortunately Sony Vaio support are standing by there original decision.. :slight_frown:

All I can think to suggest is, if you require the repair perhaps it may be cheaper to get a quote from one of Sony's OOW service partners, use the following link for details :Sony service partners