Join now - be part of our community!

Flickering screen on S2VP and contacting sony

Kawasaki
Visitor

Flickering screen on S2VP and contacting sony

Dear CV
I have a S2VP and the screen has now become unusuable due to constant flickering/instability. I guess from what has been mentioned before is that is something to do with an inverter?? If so any idea how much it costs to replace such a part? I am presently travelling in Asia and obviously want to get it fixed but have no idea what to expect in terms of price.

Also I tried to conect to the Viao support site. After asking to have a new pass word and receiving the email to change my password the link that Sony provides always comes up as a 'error bad parameter'. I also tried to ring but I am using Skype and after getting a connection to the sony UK number I can't move beyond the general menu (I assume it is not recognising the touch tone sound???)

Finally a friend mentioned there could be something wrong with the S2 series including my model. Could someone point me in the right direction about this as I have not come across this news

Many thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

13.3 inch TFT display is $279 from Nextronics in the US

Kawasaki
Visitor

Dear TonyBeard

thanks for the info. Does a 'dodgy inverter' (if that is the problem) mean the need for a new screen after only one and a half years usage?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hi

Doubtful a new LCD panel would be required.

Inverter modules are tiny boards that fit under the screen (typically under the SONY or VAIO badge on the panel itself), its a simple enough procedure the only problem is getting to these boards...

Is this under guarantee? If so you can have Sony do this work for you. Otherwise, you either attempt the repair yourself (which involves very careful disassembly of the LCD panel) or have a company do this.

Typically most professional companies will charge anywhere from $150 to $300 to change the component.

Kawasaki
Visitor

James

many thanks. I will let you know what the final bill is. Could it be due to the generic problem that could be affecting the S2 series?

K

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hi

I'm not entirely sure mate, it seems to affect the K-Series laptops as well as some of the older GRX range, so it seems the problem is quite widespread unfortunately.

Its a shame, but I've noticed the problem in a large proportion of screens with Sony's new(ish) X-Black (formerly known as Onyx Black) screen technology.

Its a real shame :slight_frown: Sony screens are so nice too...