Join now - be part of our community!

FS115S WLAN concern

sdj1704
Visitor

FS115S WLAN concern

Received my new laptop today, noticed on the box it says something about the WLAN only working in certain european countries.

Will this work in the USA, starting to worry as Im going over there for 18months in six weeks time.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I'm not sure but in europe, we use the 2,4GHz band.
And in the USA 5GHz.

But I'm not sure.

seb21__
Visitor

I don't know if you can use with your WLAN card the 5GHz band too.
Look at your manual, there you can find the specification from your WLAN card

Eugenepang
Visitor

on my vaio its written frequency 2.4GHz wireless LAN and 5GHz wireless LAN is not compatible, please swith systems to same frequency in order to connect successfully.

If your wireless had 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency, it will be shown on the wireless device switch, where you can choose which frequency to select (the turn on/off bluetooth function also listed there). if not then you might need to get an additional wireless card with 5GHz frequency.

seb21__
Visitor

I agree with Eugenepang.

D-Link and Netgear selling hybrid cards with 2,4 and 5 GHz.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=3&pid=305
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WAG511.php

But I think you need the 5GHz only in Hotspots (for example in a airport)

sdj1704
Visitor

Thanks guys for your posts.
I was starting to get worried that my WLAN wouldnt work.

I checked my specs and I only have the 2.4ghz ISM, no indication anywhere of the 5ghz.

I then decided to checkout the equipment in the US and many routers etc run at 2.4
I also checked out others like the Apple Airport and they all run on 2.4ghz if anyone would be different Apple would be.

Will also try to get a hold of Sony USA to find out what frequency their FS series run at.

Thanks both fo you.

Eugenepang
Visitor

:smileygrin: np..

sdj1704
Visitor

Decided to read up on the wireless chipset on intel's site and as per them:-

........offering a choice products including a single band (supporting 802.11b), a dual band (supporting 802.11a/b), a dual mode (supporting 802.11b/g), and a tri-mode (supporting 802.11a/b/g) product.

I have checked nearly all models in the states and they all come back with 802.11b/g none of them seem to have the dual or tri band setup.
I could buy sony's own 5ghz card if i really wanted to re-mortgage my house but it seems I would be no better off if I bought it over there.

Cool, feel much better now
Thanks guys again for your input.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Mine doesn't do 5Ghz :slight_frown:

SilverZero
Visitor

dont worry, i use a 2.4 card here in the states, i bought the router in the us, no problem. some airport hotspots dont work, jfk delta lounge for example, but a wireless card is 50 bucks, so if you really need it --> 😉

my router is a linksys BF something (the ceapest wireless router) and my wireless card is a netgear (also the ceapest one)