Join now - be part of our community!

FW21l Disk Crash and loss of Drivers...

Kimpers
Visitor

FW21l Disk Crash and loss of Drivers...

I have an FW21L (still with 6 months warranty) and it works perfectly. ...at least that was the case until I had a disk crash. :slight_frown: Now I cannot reload the drivers because I have lost the driver partition (disk is dead). If I buy a new disk, can I rebuild this partition? (luckily I created backup DVDs).

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the club,

Sure that should work as the bios will sort out the validation aspects

Kimpers
Visitor

:slight_smile: Hi Tony

thanks for the reply.

...would I be able to format the new hard disk hidden partition? ....I assume that I would need to format it (hidden partition) in order to restore from DVDs?

Steve

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

I would say the factory would install the hidden partition and the recovery disks would be a secondary non hidden partition replacing process. I can't muster the hidden partition after using recovery disks but please check for other advice as it may be my AR model saving space

Kimpers
Visitor

Hi Tony

...I have tried to research (a little bit) about the hidden partition. Does the VAIO FW21L make use of the PHDisk utility to create a (the) hidden partition for restoration of the VISTA drivers and utilities? From what I have read (?) this hidden partition would be (might be) essential to migrate from VISTA to Windows 7 :slight_frown: ...as it provides keyboard key functionality :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

Has anybody else managed to fathom-out how to create hidden partitions that actually work with their FW21L restoration DVDs?

Steve