Join now - be part of our community!

FW21M series is the ExpressCard USB or PCI connection to Motherboard

profile.country.en_GB.title
sfecondi
Visitor

FW21M series is the ExpressCard USB or PCI connection to Motherboard

Hello

I have a Sony Vaio FW21M laptop and would like to buy a high speed esata Expresscard for video editing.

My question is if the Expresscard module is connected via the USB or PCI onto the motherboard.

USB means the card will only transfer 480mbps but if its PCI i believe it can handle 2500mbps

I can not find in the device manager the module listed at all so i can not search for a manufacturer.

I really want to kno what the maximum data rate it can handle. And this depends on how it is connected inside.

Any help be appreciated.

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The ExpressCard Standard requires that the module connects directly to both the PCI Express and the USB 2.0 Bus. It depends on how the ExpressCard you buy is configured as to which of these connections is used.  An eSATA II ExpressCard will be configured to use the PCI Express Bus.

The ExpressCard has a maximum throughput of 2.5 Gbit/s through PCI  Express and 480 Mbit/s through USB 2.0 dedicated for each slot.

I don't think you have the ExpressCard 2.0 in your model - this supports USB 3.0 @ 5Gbit/s

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
sfecondi
Visitor

Thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me something else? If I buy an expresscard with 2 esata ports on it and connect it to 2 esata drives. And set up video editing for 720p files so that all the source clips are on 1 esata drive and all the output clips is on the other esata drive and i use my internal drive just to run the application like adobe premier how will the speed of the 2 esata drives be divided?

will it allocate 125mb/s for each of the 2 drives that are running through the expresscard slot?

Im trying to figure if it would be better to have a 2 esata port expresscard or a 1 esata expresscard or a 2 port FW800 expresscard, but that would only deliver 98MB/s per slot compared to esata running 300. Even though the slot can only handle 125MB/s if it was equally distributed between 2 drives.

What do u recommend??

Thanks

Simon