Join now - be part of our community!

FW41M/H with Windows 7 (HD4650 and BIOS questions)

sbht
Visitor

FW41M/H with Windows 7 (HD4650 and BIOS questions)

Hi,

I have just bought a Sony VGN-FW41M/H (Scandinavien Edition)

I took the disk out and put an SSD in it, and install Windows 7 RC.

My first challenge was a missing driver, but after a few hours of searching on google, I found out that the missing driver was a SFEP driver ...

I could not finde the SFEP driver under drivers for the FW41M/H model, but I found it under the older FW31 model, and it worked ...

SFEP makes the Fn key work.

Driver for the graphics card, which you can download at Sony webpage under the FW41M/H model, does not work in Windows 7, so you must go to the ATI webpage and download their latest driver.

I have installed 3DMark 2006, and run the test but I only scored 5499 points, according to several websites on the Internet, the HD4650 should score avg. 6300 points, so I score 1000 points lower.

I come from a laptop with a Geforce 9600GT and I thought actually that HD4650 would be more powerfull, but I was wrong, they score much alike, my Geforce 9600GT also scored 55xx.

I finde out that the HD4650 in my Sony only runs at 450MHz on the Core and 600Mhz on the memory! Standard HD4650 chip for laptop running at 550Mhz core and 800MHz on the Memory.

I tried to overclock the card to 550 Mhz on the Core and 650Mhz on the memory and bingo then it hits over 6000 points in 3Dmark 2006 and the temp was below 65 degrees all the time.

My SSD is slower in the Sony laptop, especially in write speed, about 30 - 40MB slower then my old Laptop, I've tried to install Diskeeper, but it did not help anything. Can it really be that the controller is not optimized for SSD? I also missing the AHCI option in the Bios.

All this leaves me with some questions which I hope there are some experts out there who could answer me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Why did Sony downclock their HD4650?

2. Are there BIOS updates for the Sony laptop, like it could be made an update that opimere hard disk controller to the SSD, so I get the correct speed.

3. Why have sony removed alot of options in their Bios? like AHCI option?

4. I have a button labeled AV Mode, it does not work! I could imagine that it would control the various light conditions, what should I install to get it to work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry that my English is not so good, but I hope that you can understand what I write or ask me okay.?

Regards
SBHT

0 REPLIES 0