Join now - be part of our community!

FX701 - cannot update ATI video drivers

daverayment
Visitor

FX701 - cannot update ATI video drivers

Hi,

I've downloaded and uncompressed the latest drivers for my laptop from the proper Sony support link. However when I double-click the SETUP.EXE file I get the following error message:

Cannot find file C:\video6135105796\SETUP.EXE (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

The title of the window is "Can't run 16-bit Windows program", which is a bit strange, as I'm running XP!

Does anyone have any ideas about what may be causing this? I haven't got any programs open or anything and I haven't removed anything from the folder or any libraries from my Windows directory.

Cheers,

Dave

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds to me like that installer is made for Windows 9x rather than XP.
Didn't that model come with Windows 98?

Qbix
Visitor

I think there are updated XP video drivers on vaio.sony-europe.com. I'm using them on my 701 and they seem stable.

Specifications for PCG-FX701 confirms Operating System is Windows XP Home.

Q

daverayment
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. The machine was pre-installed with XP Home and has since been upgraded to XP Pro SP2. The existing video driver causes display corruption occasionally when playing certain videos, so I tried the latest download from vaio-link.

I've raised a support call, too, but they haven't replied yet.

Are there any other sources for ATI drivers for OEM machines?

Cheers,

Dave

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Are there any other sources for ATI drivers for OEM machines?

Nope

Qbix
Visitor

I am running the most recent ATI drivers from the vaio web site - 6.13.10.5796 dated 16/06/2002 - without any problems under XP sp2 on my FX701. What problems are you having?

Q

daverayment
Visitor

Hi Qbix,

It looks like I was trying to install the exact same driver that you have on your system (I currently have the previous version), so I wonder if the archive has become corrupt somehow. I'm still waiting for a response from Sony support.

Could you do me a big favour please, and try downloading the driver from the vaio-link support site, just to see if you get the same error message when trying to run setup (see my original post)? When you say web site, is that the place you mean?

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave