Join now - be part of our community!

FZ21Z & Windows 7 64 bit: Nvidia issues!

Julien74
Visitor

FZ21Z & Windows 7 64 bit: Nvidia issues!

Hi guys!

I've recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (legal OEM) on my VAIO FZ21Z. Whoop!
Originally I had Vista 32 bit. Everything work smoothly and I've found all the drivers needed for SD card reader, webcam, microphone... Nevertheless I have a problem with the graphic card which is a M8600GS on these models. I've found the non official driver "Vista 64 bit" http://www.vaio-link.com/os/vista/64bit/ to make the card works! So far so good, I can even connect as a second screen my full HD TV through HDMI. My problem is : now the HD feature of the nvidia is LOST! The card works, I can start HD videos but without the HD stunning and sharp quality I used to have with Vista 32 bit and I CAN'T install the proper nvidia driver 64 bit from nvidia's website 😞

1 Does anyone have a solution or have the same problem?
2 Should I have installed W7 32 bit? (oops) :smileygrin:
3 Will we see proper W7 drivers for FZ21Z (and others) from Sony one day? This VAIO is 2 years old and really NOT outdated. So far nothing from them... nice! :thinking:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Julien

11 REPLIES 11
Julien74
Visitor

Thanks!
It worked! Awesome link!
Chears

davey_lamp
Explorer

I too have struggled with the driver problem  and having tried most things but still struggling, I am now asking the obvious of do you have a working copy of the NVIDIA 8600M GS driver that you could share with me?  Thank you in advance.

profile.country.el_GR.title
Fender67
Explorer

" I too have struggled with the driver problem  and having tried most things but still struggling, I am now asking the obvious of do you have a working copy of the NVIDIA 8600M GS driver that you could share with me"

No OS described also x86 or x64, and you expect that someone will send you a driver?? lol!!

You must first provide exact Operating System info and Vaio model if not FZ.

Does the pc uses Hybrid graphics or not??

P.S. I have not the time to do it but I can give you instructions on how to do it, it's very easy and you can use any WHQL drivers directly downloaded from the NVIDIA website. (Notebook drivers NOT Desktop).

Regards,

davey_lamp
Explorer

Fender67 as the title and message suggest laptop is vaio vgn-fz21z with Nvidia 8600m gs graphics running Windows 7 Professional 64bit, thanks for any help.
Fender67
Explorer

Hi,

First of all, I need to know which Nvidia driver you have already installed and if it's from Sony. (version number).

You can see it in CP installed programs.

Open My Computer, C:\ , go to Nvidia folder and somewhere inside this folder you should have a Display Driver directory, inside that directory you should have a file named nvszf.inf if it's an old Nvidia driver from Sony.

Upload a copy here.

Also, open Device Manager, section Display Adapters, and right click on your Nvidia card then Properties, then  Driver Details. Scroll to the dropdown menu, section Hardware Id's and copy and paste here the second line only.

(There are 4).

It should look like this or kind of similar

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_9005104D

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9016104D

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9017104D
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9018104D
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_902D104D
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9030104D

Normally, one of these HW Id's is yours, but verify and paste it exactly as it appears.

I must tell you that is a job for advanced users and when everything will be ready, prior to install a new driver, you will need to completely uninstall any previous Nvidia drivers from Programs & Features, delete any remnant Nvidia folders from C: and also delete the Nvidia folder inside C:\Windows\Drivers. More details when it will be needed.

There is also the registry part but it's not mandatory.

It is highly recommended that you do not install Nvidia drivers from Microsoft Update and if you have WU set to auto, you must hide any Nvidia related Windows Updates as they're crap.

One minor drawback is that when you will install a modded Nvidia driver you lose the global digital signature for Nvidia driver but all the files inside the driver remain digitally signed.

It's not an issue and it's perfectly normal.

Let me know if you need any help.

P.S. Is this your exact model number??  VGN-FZ21Z  http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FZ21Z/updates

Regards,

Fender67
Explorer

I will give you the choise, depending on your needs, to install any of these Nvidia drivers:

310.90 whql

314.22 whql  (highly recommended)

331.65 whql

331.82 whql  (highly recommended).

There are newer versions but, trust me, too many bugs and also they tend to add support for newer cards and your GPU card is old. (Legacy category).

I'm also on W7 x64 and my VAIO came shipped with a crappy 186.56 Nvidia driver from Sony, now I'm on 331.82 WHQL with zero issues.

I have on that particular model an 9600M GT Nvidia.

I have also another Vaio with newer and better model GPU but no need to install modded drivers on that one because it is part of the Nvidia Verde Notebook Program.

Since you have upgraded to W7 x64 are these Sony programs installed on your pc??

I'm assuming that your Operating System's language is EN-US.

Do not install any for now...

Sony Shared Library 5.4.0.05200:

Download link : ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/VAIO/ORI....4.0.05200.ZIP
Extract & Run the setup & reboot as required.

12. Setting Utility Series 5.0.0.07280:

http://s02.download.sony.com/US/pc/S...0201315-US.EXE
Extract the .exe using Uniextract and run the setup.exe inside the "tempexe" folder.

Vaio Event Service 5.0.0.07130:

http://s02.download.sony.com/US/pc/S...0192615-US.EXE
Follow the procedure in step 12 to install.

Vaio Control Center 4.0.0.07130:

http://s02.download.sony.com/US/pc/S...0192539-US.EXE
Follow the procedure in step 12 to install and reboot.

Regards,

davey_lamp
Explorer

Fender67 Thank you for the comprehensive reply, unfortunately, I cannot give you the Nvidia or Sony driver information as Windows 7 has loaded a standard VGA driver. I've considered reloading the original Vista home system as a dual boot and from this I could find out the original driver. I'll have time this weekend to do some more research. Just seen your second response will give the suggestions a go. Again thank you for the help.

Fender67
Explorer

Hi,

Standard VGA adapter uses the same hardware id's and it's best that you are on VGA adapter, saves a lot of work, because during the Nvidia uninstall process I would ask to revert to VGA adapter before install a new nvidia driver.

Follow the same process as I described earlier with Device manager and post your hardware id's, it's critical info.

See first post here and post the second of the 4 lines.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/210997-device-manager-showing-standard-vga-graphics-adapter...

If I have this info I can prepare a modded .inf for you.

Thanks.

Regards,