Join now - be part of our community!

General query about sending Vaio off for Repair *newbie* *HELP NEEDED!*

sam_h786
Visitor

General query about sending Vaio off for Repair *newbie* *HELP NEEDED!*

Hi,

This is my first time posting on here since I got my laptop about 9 months ago. I just wanted to ask about the general repair process as I am sending my laptop off for repair for the first time because I accidentently dropped the laptop, my pull out thing for the CD has broke and also for general maintenance. Hows their repair service like? e.g. do they repair, send the laptop back on time and the laptop is working without any problems after repair. Are they expensive?. They said I have to pay for the repair as my warranty does not cover dropping of laptops but it was an accident and plus I forked out another £169.00 for 3 year warranty on top of the standard warranty which covers accidental damage. Now i'm just confused?? anyone want to explain??

Sam x

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

They said I have to pay for the repair as my warranty does not cover dropping of laptops but it was an accident and plus I forked out another £169.00 for 3 year warranty on top of the standard warranty which covers accidental damage.

Hi Sam,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Did you purchase the Vaio Plus warranty.?

If so this will extend the guarantee on your VAIO Notebook for up to three years from the date of purchase, however I didn't think that it covered accidental damage.. :slight_frown:

Check the terms and conditions paperwork..

Do you have accidental cover with your house insurance, if so have you thought about claiming on that.?

sam_h786
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thankyou for replying to the post I really appreciate it! :slight_smile: I purchased a three year warranty from the sony centre all they said it was a 3 year warranty for my laptop it covers accidental damage they didn't mention the Vaio Plus warranty to be honest with you.

I have the 3 year and the 1 year manufacturer guarantee, I'm starting to think it was pointless blowing £169.00 on a 3 year warranty which might not be of use to me and on top of that I wanted to have the laptop repaired before I start university. (this is so frustrating!!, i have been careful with my laptop up until now) :slight_frown:

I could claim on the house insurance if I wanted to but I have to pay excess you see and I don't really want to pay more considering i have university fees to pay. Don't all standard manufacturers guarantee cover accidental damage???

The amount of time I have spent on the phone is no good as it costs a fortune and I have spoken to the sony rep he said to register the warranty (3 year) and then they will take it from there. How much do you think it'll cost to repair??

sam x

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I purchased a three year warranty from the sony centre all they said it was a 3 year warranty for my laptop it covers accidental damage they didn't mention the Vaio Plus warranty to be honest with you.

Hi Sam,

can you let us know exactly what warranty pack you have purchased please.?

Don't all standard manufacturers guarantee cover accidental damage???

Not normally no.. :slight_frown:

The amount of time I have spent on the phone is no good as it costs a fortune and I have spoken to the sony rep he said to register the warranty (3 year) and then they will take it from there. 

Have you registered your extended warranty.?

sam_h786
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Sorry for the late reply!

can you let us know exactly what warranty pack you have purchased please.? 

I rang Sony they said my insurance it is not a Sony one but a Domestic and General one. So they told me to go to the Sony centre and they will deal with it. What?! So I spent a lot of time on the phone when I could have just went to my Sony centre?! This is sooo frustrating.

Have you registered your extended warranty.?

No I haven’t registered it online as it is not a Sony warranty however it’s registered with the Sony centre.

I was told by the sales consultant to ring up the insurance to make a claim. So I did the insurance company gave me a number for a repair company they use. I have organised a pick up next week and see what happens. Once I make a claim my insurance becomes invalid don’t it??. So if the laptop gets repaired then fine. If they replace it I’m having 2nd thoughts about taking insurance with them again either way. What would you suggest?? Can I get a full refund or not??

Thanks,

Sam xx

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I rang Sony they said my insurance it is not a Sony one but a Domestic and General one. So they told me to go to the Sony centre and they will deal with it. What?! So I spent a lot of time on the phone when I could have just went to my Sony centre?! This is sooo frustrating.

I do find it strange that the Sony centre would be selling Domestic and General insurance as Sony have there own Vaio guarantee packs.. :thinking:

That would also explain why Sony support could not help and why you have to deal directly with Domestic & General. Did the Sony Centre not explain who to contact if you wished to claim on the insurance.?

Once I make a claim my insurance becomes invalid don’t it??. 

As far as I am aware your insurance will be valid for the until the end date irrespective of the number of times you claim, best to check this with Domestic & General though.. :wink:

Hope all goes well with the claim.. :four_leaf_clover:

sam_h786
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thankyou!, my claim went through and my laptop has been repaired!! 

I do find it strange that the Sony centre would be selling Domestic and General insurance as Sony have there own Vaio guarantee packs.. :thinking: 

Same here I found that strange as well…that’s what they told me…I thought I bought a Vaio guarantee looks I didn’t after all. I suppose you have a Vaio, do you have Vaio guarantee for your laptop or a D&G one?

That would also explain why Sony support could not help and why you have to deal directly with Domestic & General. Did the Sony Centre not explain who to contact if you wished to claim on the insurance.?

I know it all makes sense now, atleast I know who to contact in future and no they didn’t mention it when I bought the laptop only when I went in asked the other week.

As far as I am aware your insurance will be valid for the until the end date irrespective of the number of times you claim, best to check this with Domestic & General though.. :wink:

I spoke to someone at D&G she said that the insurance is valid until the end date like you mentioned. I can make claims on my insurance but there is a limit (I think that’s what said she said). So I’m still covered under the manufacturers guarantee for accidental damage which is good.

Thanks once again for your help!

Sam x

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thankyou!, my claim went through and my laptop has been repaired!!

That's good news, I'm glad to hear your Vaio been repaired.. :slight_smile: