Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics Card problems on AR21S

profile.country.en_GB.title
jumbles1971
Visitor

Graphics Card problems on AR21S

I'm having problems with my graphics card (GeForce Go 7600 GT). When I exit some games or applications it leaves a black rectangle on the screen. If I click Show Desktop the rectangle minimizes but as soon as I restore any other window it returns. There's nothing on the taskbar for it and there's nothing listed in Task Manager (there might be something under Processes but there's 87 processes running at the moment and I haven't a clue what it would be called). I can't Alt-Tab to it and clicking on the rectangle and pressing Alt-F4 has no effect either.

I figure it might be a driver problem and I've just downloaded the 93.71 Forceware drivers from the nVidia site but wanted to check if any one knew how to get rid of the rectangle or if it's safe to install the nVidia drivers (on my last VAIO it had an ATI card and their normal drivers wouldn't install on the mobile version of the GPU).

Jumbles

10 REPLIES 10
jumbles1971
Visitor

I just tried installing the drivers (I figured I could use a restore point if everything went pear shaped) and they refused to install saying they couldn't find any drivers for my hardware.

The only way I can come up with to get rid of this rectangle it to reboot which is a pain.

a7med_360
Visitor

reboot the laptop? that shouldnt be a hassel :tongue:

budgetmil
Visitor

I just tried installing the drivers (I figured I could use a restore point if everything went pear shaped) and they refused to install saying they couldn't find any drivers for my hardware.

The only way I can come up with to get rid of this rectangle it to reboot which is a pain.

Hi,

To install drivers not released by Sony, you need a modified .inf file. You can find it on www.laptopvideo2go.com. Unfortunately the servers of this site crashed a few days ago and they have been unable to restore everything. But I think you will be able to find the .inf file you need. Download the drivers from Nvidia site, uncompress the files, replace the .inf file by the one you will download from laptopvideo2go, and start the installation program. I never had any problem when I installed Nvidia drivers not provided by Sony but of course, you must be aware that in case of problem, Sony won't help you !

I never encountered the problem you have, but maybe it will be fixed with more recent drivers.

jumbles1971
Visitor

I can't use the screensaver I want without it leaving the rectangle. Rebooting every time the screensaver kicks in would be a major pain.

I've downloaded the latest drivers - 97.78 - and the corresponding .INF file and it installed without any problems. Unfortunately it hasn't cured the problem.

budgetmil
Visitor

Then your problem is probably not related to the video drivers... What's your desktop background ? Unicolor, BMP picture, ... ?

jumbles1971
Visitor

At the moment my wallpaper is a .PNG but I've also had a .BMP background and had the same problem.

I just tried doing a System Restore to a point before I think the problem started and it didn't make any difference.

It seems to only happen when I run DirectX in fullscreen - the full screen tests in DXDiag or Half-Life etc. Running Half-Life in a window doesn't seem to be a problem.

Reinstalling DirectX didn't cure it either.

budgetmil
Visitor

Sorry, I have no idea to help you... Maybe you have a program running which causes the problem ?

jumbles1971
Visitor

Thanks for trying.

It doesn't really matter anymore. The graphics card is jut one of the problems this laptop is having so I just contacted the company I bought it from and told them I'm rejecting it and want my money back!

a7med_360
Visitor

It could of just been compatability problems it may have not supported the AR21s or maybe it was disfuntional due to manufacturer mistake