Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics Driver Update fails to install!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_IE.title
dahogan48
Visitor

Graphics Driver Update fails to install!

Hi,

This is slowly driving me insane.

VAIO Update tells me an update is available but the Update fails to install.

''Graphics Driver (Intel) 64bit - 8.15.10.2040

What is this?
This is an updated graphics driver.

What does it fix?
This update improves HDMI compatibility.

Manual installation steps

Exit all running programs.
Download this update and save it to your hard drive.
Double-click EP0000219982.exe to run it.
Wait until the installation is finished, and reboot the VAIO.''

Every time I start my Laptop, the update is waiting for me to shutdown/restart so it can install. It NEVER installs. I've turned off (unchecked) the notification but still it shows up. I managed to download the installer from an online Sony Site but even then it would not install.

Sony Vaio VPCEB1EOE - Philips HDMI HP w2207h

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Arranman
Visitor

Download the EP0000219011.exe driver update file and save it on your desktop or somewhere convenient (you can allways back it up in case you need it in the future).  Create a restore point and then delete the old graphics driver through device manager (Win 7).  The display will go funny withlarge icons etc, this is because it can no longer find a suitable driver.  Then locate the .exe above and install the driver, depending on your laptop, this may take a moment or two.  The .exe is about 120 mb in size.  You will then be promted to restart your machine, when it will then use the new driver, you can check this in the device manager.  I too had problems using Vaio update as it refused to use the driver after downloading and extracting and windows did say I had the latest driver!!!  However, using the above to manually uninstall the old driver and then install the new one will solve the problem.  Make sure you create a restore point before, just incase problems occur.  You can then check Vaio update following the above and the driver will no longer appear in updates to download list.  This foxed me a bit and was getting annoyed with constand update reminders through the Vaio care programme.  Hope this helps  🙂

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dan,

Can you check what version of the graphics driver is currently installed.  Just to eliminate the possibility that the update has been installed already.

:thinking:

dahogan48
Visitor

Hi Blencogo.

Seasons Greetings & thank you for your reply.

Windows Device Manager
Display adapters
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Driver version: 8.15.10.2008

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I have emailed Sony so they can have a look at this.

:wink:

dahogan48
Visitor

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

dahogan48
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Have you heard anything back from Sony yet? The problem is still the same at this end.

Thanks,

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No - it was referred to Vaio Update just before Christmas but I would not expect a reply yet.

It is a little strange that nobody else with the same model has reported a similar problem.

dahogan48
Visitor

OK, thanks!

By the way, I tried updating the Driver from the Device Manager (search computer and Internet). The reply was ... 'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date'.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony have asked if you have tried uninstalling the old driver manually before trying to install the update.

They also suggested that you try running the update as Administrator and that you try downloading the update again manually from the support site - here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Updates/EP00002...

They also confirm no-one else has raised this problem.

dahogan48
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thank you for your reply. I notice the two posts above mine at this time read: 'Graphics driver update (ati) 8.723.8.2 seems like it will never end' and 'VAIO FTP problems, VAIO update can't update itself'.

I downloaded and ran the Driver in Admin Mode. It seemed to start unpacking and then just quit.

I deleted the current Driver and restarted the Laptop. Windows seems to have detected my HDMI screen and installed a suitable Driver for it.

I tried to update the Driver by having Windows look directly at the freshly Downloaded Driver.

I tried all manner of combinations of all of the above but I am still in exactly the same situation.

Windows Update seems convinced that my current Driver is the best fit for my System. It will not entertain this newer Graphics Driver.

Vaio Update insists that this newer Graphics Driver is better but it is unable to install it.

Dan

Message was edited by: dahogan48