Join now - be part of our community!

GRT-816S Shutting Down When Trying to Load Recovery Disc!!

kindred
Visitor

GRT-816S Shutting Down When Trying to Load Recovery Disc!!

My Vaio is shutting down automatically when I am trying to load the recovery disc. The percentages vary every time but, it just shuts down. Have noticed it is very noisy and hot at the back end of the Vaio. :slight_frown:

Would appreciate any help I can get as I do not live in Europe and have tried getting through to e-support and phone support with no joy.

At my wits end! :cry:

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kindred,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

Your Vaio may be shutting down due to overheating, you can check the temperature of your Vaio using Mobilemeter please post back the temperatures...

Also check that the air vents are not blocked with dust, etc..

kindred
Visitor

Thank you Thalamus. No question, you rock! You're analysis appears to be right on the money! :slight_smile:

It took me several tries but I eventually loaded on Win2000 SP1. The recovery disk had rendered my Vaio inoperable so, once I managed to load the W2K set up files and save the settings, dump the temporary files, it was game on!

I loaded Mobile Meter and here are the readings:

Frequency: 2.83GHz
Temperature: 68.0 Celsius (It started at 63.0 and continued to rise)
Charge Rate: 0.13 W
HDD #0: 37.0 Celsius (started at 38. 0)

I turned off the Vaio when it reached 68.0 since it became noisier as it increased.

Thanks for your help...what do I do next! :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kindred,

First you need to try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), then holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan.

If you do not notice any improvement then I'm afraid your vaio may need to be disassembled in order to deep clean the fan and cooling vents. :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for the PM kindred, out of curiosity what temperature is your Vaio running at now..?

kindred
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

New temperature settings are now:

Frequency: 2.83GHz
Temperature: 55.0 Celsius
Charge Rate: 0.13 W
HDD #0: 34.0 Celsius

Are these settings about right?

Thanks,

Kindred :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The GRT is a desktop type CPU, so it will be a tad higher than "mobile" CPUs.

55 isn't bad, but it's not the best.

kindred
Visitor

Thanks Kee-Lo. Any suggestions on how to improve the temperature?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The only thing you could do is open it up and remove as much dust as you possibly can

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Kindred mentioned in the PM he sent me that he has already cleared the globs of dust around the cooling fans and the heat sync etc...:smileygrin: