Join now - be part of our community!

GRT916V and DVD+R 8x Media

dcamacho
Visitor

GRT916V and DVD+R 8x Media

Hi.

Now that DVD issues are popular, I want to add another one.

We own a GRT916V with a DW-U54A DVD writer unit. This unit is rated at 4X.

For some time we have observed that it is unable to write to any 8X media that we have tried. For 4X media, the compatibility experience is a mixed bag, as most DVD users are aware of.

We opened an issue within e-support. Some technical people tried to help without success. The issue rested open for about two months.

One day, a guy from DHL appeared and ask for the unit: it was sent for reparation. After contacting Sony, I verified that this was the procedure and I sent the unit. One week later, the unit was back with a note saying that they had changed the DVD writer.

Of course, the problem was still there since they had not tried the writer after the switch. Well informed people will know that these kind of problems are caused by the firmware, so a firmware update is needed.

Of course, this model does not have updates for more than a year: new models absorb all engineering resources. Therefore my hope on solving the issue is really mince.

Later, I have learned that Sony has published a "hotnews" saying that this writer model is compatible with the following media:
Sony D21 [16X+R]
TDK 002 [8X+R]
Philips MAGE01 [8X+R]

You will notice that the Sony 8X media is not compatible with this Sony DVD writer (as other brands I have tried).

That's it. You can get your own conclusions...

P.S. For those that are not aware, the next DVD standard will make this mess even worse since 2 incompatible formats are ready to hit the market: HD-DVD and Blue-Ray.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Always try to use Ritek coated DVDs like Emtec, and Memorex, as it's a better coating, specially R04

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Hi Folks,

By my experience and the experience of all my partners, the best DVD media in this order are:

1) Verbatim
2) Sony
3) TDK
4) LG

But never BASF-Emtec. I have several problems with them. My first problem came with a box of 20 DVD-R disc that after three months of be recorded (and without any problems neither scratches) they decided to finish to work.... And this was very very anoying for me.

By the way, I have another BASF-Emtec DVD-R that died after one year of be recorded (without any problems neither scratches).

Moreover, I must to say that I takea lot of care of my DVD-Rs because for me are backup devices and the information stored in them is very very important.

So, decide by yourself.

Torakaru. :slight_smile:

P.D. I am Electronic Design Engineer, and I must to say that a lot of problems come from premature released Firmwares in all our electronic devices. But that is the Time-To-Market rule of this stressed World where we live.

Take it easy!!! :wink:

kee-lo_

I agree with your choice - Verbatim are great DVDs - no problems (touch wood) and TDK are good too

dcamacho
Visitor

Hi Again.

I have received from SONY a beta firmware update: 1.5c

I have installed this update and now the unit is able to write to 8X media, in particular I have tested a Sony DVD+R 8X and a Philips DVD+R 8X. The same physical disks did not work on firmware 1.5a.

Therefore, i conclude the issue I reported a couple of days ago as
RESOLVED.

Regards

Diego.

kee-lo_

Glad to hear it's all sorted!

magibe
Visitor

where can i find this beta firmware????

Hi Again.

I have received from SONY a beta firmware update: 1.5c

I have installed this update and now the unit is able to write to 8X media, in particular I have tested a Sony DVD+R 8X and a Philips DVD+R 8X. The same physical disks did not work on firmware 1.5a.

Therefore, i conclude the issue I reported a couple of days ago as
RESOLVED.

Regards

Diego.

magibe@yahoo.it