Join now - be part of our community!

Hard drive failure

profile.country.en_GB.title
Kurshies
Visitor

Hard drive failure

Hello, I have a Vaio VGN-BX51XP and after running a hardware diagnostic check I have come to understand that my hard drive is failing. The error message was "linear seek test failed".

Very frustrating to say the least!!!

I have 2 questions, firstly I have tried to burn a recovery media kit but it is failing to do so - I am assuming this is because of my hard drive failing right?

Or could it be something else?

I guess I may have to buy a recovery media kit from Sony if it is the hard drive causing the error.

Secondly how do I distinguish which hard drive I should buy to be able to install it myself?

Would you recommend any hard drives currently available?

Many thanks,

I hope someone can help.

Kursh

3 REPLIES 3
peshyxp
Visitor

It may be a virus giving a fake warning that hard drive is about to fail

Best bet would be to try reinstalling the operating system using the preinstalled recovery software on your vaio - hit F10 when booting up and this should launch the recovery software and follow the instructions

Otherwise you may need the recovery discs if the recovery partition isnt there any more - but dont buy from Sony since they charge extortionate amounts for this

If this fails and you want to replace the hard drive any SATA 2.5inch drive will work

Id recommend either Western Digital or Seagate and the 320gb or 250gb drives (5400rpm) are a good size

Play.com or ebuyer.com are usually cheapest although at moment due to recent flooding problems in Far East the prices of hard drives have shot up like petrol prices!!

Hard drives should be around £50-£75 (they were £35ish six months ago!!!)

Installing it is simple process - just involves unscrewing the cover on the base unit and then undoing some screws to remove the hard drive caddy to access the hard drive itself

Youtube has some good instructional videos posted by members of the public

Hope this helps and good luck

Kurshies
Visitor

Hi Peshyxp,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to reinstall the operating system and see if this works. Worth giving it a try.

I have ordered a Western Digital Scorpio Blue (CCL code - HDD0510) from CCLonline.com, found to be the cheapest, though I do think it is a hard drive failure.

In terms of a new operating system, Sony Support have recommended that I buy XP for the notebook. I understand that the lastest windows may not be compatible for specific reasons.

I should have in hindsight made a recovery disk, but now I have to fork out some brass for an XP operating system as I can't burn the one currently on the laptop.

If I don't buy the recovery disk from Sony, what would you recommend instead?

Sony's price inc vat is £49.19

Many thanks again,

Kursh

peshyxp
Visitor

Hi Kursh

Having revisited your post I can see your laptop is quite old given that Sony support have recommended buying Windows XP

I would suggest two options

1.Cut your losses and buy a new Sony laptop there are some excellent bargains and Ive seen some i3core models being sold for £449! See pcworld.co.uk. There are cheaper models if you look at Argos eBay outlet shop on eBay since they sell refurb models which are as good as new and excellent value for money (i can personally vouch for this). You can pick them up for around £350-£400. (also see www.laptopdirect.co.uk under refurbs)

2. DO NOT BUY RECOVERY DISCS FROM SONY.....I would suggest you look at eBay.

If you do want to continue using your laptop you can easily purchase Windows XP for around £20 and load this up but you will have to reload a number of additional drivers to get everything working eg shortcut keys and webcam etc

Good luck my friend

Message was edited by: peshyxp

Message was edited by: peshyxp

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited for suggesting copyright infringement and illegal activity