Join now - be part of our community!

Hardware Trouble (Sony DVD RW DW-G520A)

joseph81o
Visitor

Hardware Trouble (Sony DVD RW DW-G520A)

Hi folks,

I own a VAIO VGN-FE21H.
It looks like the SONY DVD RW DW-G520A it came with has after intensive use over the past 14 months finally packed it in.

Personally, I don't believe I'm facing a driver or software related issue, because I'm working in a dual boot invironment (WinXP MCE & Win2003 on a second partition), and the disc player now doesn't work with neither.
Device Manager believes that the device is working properly, but that is just the typical windows nonsense one has come to expect.

The fact is that after inserting a disc the tray LED flashes three times, accompanied by three audible mechanical attempts to start or read the disc, but that's as far as it will go.

The thing is, I can take any desktop apart and put it back together with my eyes shut, but since this is my first notebook I want to make sure I'm not throwing money away by purchasing an overpriced SONY replacement, that is only going to last another 12 to 18 months again.

So the question I'm facing now is, do I have to purchase a replacement of SONY to make sure it'll fit this particular VAIO model (VGN-FE21H),
or can get a burner from a another source and can it be made (adjusted) to fit.

Any advice would be most welcome & appreciated.

Thanks.

0 REPLIES 0