Join now - be part of our community!

Has anyone ever had a successful experience with Sony Customer Service?

profile.country.en_PL.title
davcarls
Visitor

Has anyone ever had a successful experience with Sony Customer Service?

I bought a supposed top of the range F series Vaio a year ago and have had problems from day 1 including overheating, sounding like a hair dryer and struggling to process data streams (I got a  2year warranty and purchased an additional year so no disputes about out of warranty work).

I arranged a collection over a month ago for today, e-mailed them yesterday to remind them, made arrangements to stay in all day and no-one turned up to collect it, not even a phone call.

This exact same thing happened last year when I arranged a repair - stayed in and no-one turned up on the day arranged. On this occasion I had to waste 2 days staying in and then they said I would get a VIP turn around of 3 days. 7 days later it was missing and I eventually received it back after 10 days. I use it for my work so this is more than just an inconvenience.

I wrote and e-mailed to the main customer service in the UK but got no response back.  They seem to have a policy of pass the buck and will when I called they said they couldn't help and referred me back to the vaio-link customer service who are some outsourced outfit and totally incompetent. It seems that they try and inconvenience you as much as possible so you will give up trying to get it repaired. I guess they hope that if they stone wall you enough times you will go away.

The inconvenience in time and money this has caused me is far more than the cost of the stupid machine so by this action Sony really are being short sighted as I would not risk this expereince again.

I saw on another thread someone had written to the executive officers:

Head of UK Customer services is Mr Karl Barker, karl.barker@eu.sony.com

Sony CEO is Mr Howard Stringer, howard_stringer@sonyusa.com

Head of Vaio Service Europe is Mr Koji Mizuno, kmizuno@vaio-link.com

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this and had any success.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi davcarls,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Who have you been in contact with to arrange collection & repair..:smileyconfused:

Do you have a case number if could you send it to me via private message,

I know you may be frustrated but please don't multi post on the forum as it does little to help your case and can cause confusion and waste peoples time, most of us don't work for Sony..:smileywink:

PS I'll close you other thread that I branched off and use this in instead..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi davcarls,

I notice that you have not logged into the forum since starting this thread but in case you do someone from Sony should hopefully be in contact with you soon..:smileywink:

davcarls
Visitor

I've tried to send you a private msg but your mailbox is full!! :laughing: The case number I have is 5631360

I am also attaching the e-mails I sent below from 10 June and 7 July (I thought it best to send a reminder).

Someone did contact me on Monday 11th but as I clearly stated in telephone calls and in the e-mail below I would be on holiday that week and not available. Do they actually read what is sent to them?

Sent: 07 July 2011 17:39
To: customersupport.en@vaio-link.com
Subject: RE: Case Nr: 5631360

With reference to the collection tomorrow could you have someone call me to let me know a time frame for collection e.g 9-12 or 12-4.

Also there is a problem with the updating of Vaio care  -it starts then crashes before the update is complete.

Sent: 10 June 2011 16:17
To: customersupport.en@vaio-link.com
Subject: Case Nr: 5631360

Further to my reporting of various faults today, below is the address for collection to service:

Address (included in original msg)

Tel: (included in original msg)

Please ensure that it is collected on Friday 8th July as I will be away for a week after this (9th – 17th July). It would be helpful to get a call confirming approximate time of collection.

As mentioned on the phone call it would be ideal to receive it back on Monday 18th July. Please could you make a note so that someone contacts me to confirm when it will be delivered.

Regards,

David

profile.country.fr_FR.title
User3D
Visitor

Not really. I'm openinh a new thred with description of the issue I face with my Vaio (in paralell to the therad in French in which I have no answer).

Vaio3D

profile.country.en_GB.title
malcolmwade
Visitor

Sorry to report that I have just had similar very bad service from Sony - so much so that I don't think I'll ever buy Sony again - wished I'd bought Apple as I had been told by colleagues!

My laptop broke (HDD problem and loss of power) under warranty and it took two attempts by their Flextronics partners to fix it. I was so irrate I responded to Koji Mizumo's email and surprise surprise got no response for days.

Then I got told that I would receive substantial compensation - well guess what? I've heard nothing since.

In my view Sony are amongst the worst at customer service that I have experienced in recent years - even worse than Dixons Retail Group - and that's saying something!

Sorry to report this - but I am completely disillusioned with the once great Sony......they are going down the same slope as Nokia and losing their way and market share

Malcolm

STEVIEEG
Visitor

I wish I could say yes, but unfortunately the answer is a resounding "NO"!

I am on my second VAIO, and perhaps I should question my sanity in having made the second purchase.

I have been a SONY user from my first cassette walkman through to discman, minidisc player, my VX2000 pro-sumer video camera, PS1 2 and 3 and a number of mobile phones including my current one. I have spent upwards of £7,000 on SONY products over the years... I guess you could say I am typically brand loyal... but these VAIOs and the resulting customer experience have really led me to rethink this.

I made the most recent VAIO purchase despite an awful battle to get SONY to recognise the well known nVidia bump solder defect on my previous system and fix it. Having the fix done was in no part thanks to the woeful customer service who stonewalled, obfuscated and generally disrespected me throughout the several of hours of my life wasted on the phone to them. Only threats of action via small claims court in writing seemed to help my case!

Amazingly after having the problem resolved I still had some residual goodwill and product loyalty... Overall I felt the general build quality of the product was good and this was an isolated case of manufacturing issues.

My current £1000 F-series is 8 months old and under a 2 year warranty, yet it has developed a very loose power connector to the point that it is becoming almost impossible to charge or power. I have just embarked on the all too familiar process of contacting Sony support via it's chat and technical channels to be met instantly with the familiar "this is a physical defect, it is not covered by warranty" rebuttal. I know that under UK law I am afforded consumer protection against defects in manufacture (and that in small claims court reasonable enjoyment of a laptop is deemed to be a lifecycle of greater than three years regardless of what the warranty says)

At the moment I'm gearing up for the major battle I expect to have to go through to get this fixed. I'm a reasonable person and would far rather have this solved amicably, but I can see the writing on the wall and feel that perhaps I should go straight for the jugular this time and save myself the sould destroying minutes and hours spent on hold only to be told the same thing by a different person (or to be cut off again)

I wonder why SONY don't realise that by simply recognising a customer with a legitimate grievance and doing what they can to put things right then they would find people would overlook the defect itself and remember the good service...

Perhaps that would result in more repeat business? ...Perhaps they get it anyway!

They certainly won't be having mine again if I have to endure torture by customer service once more to get some satisfaction. This time the gloves are off...

davcarls
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thank you for your reply but I'm not sure of your status in relation to Sony and on what authority you are representing them.

Edit: I've just noticed that you state you don't work for them so could you confirm what your role is?

The reason I've not logged in is that I'm just back after a weeks holiday. This is why I went to so much trouble to get the lap-top serviced last week. I now need it on a daily basis for work so I can either buy a new one, or Sony can lend me one while this is being repaired (which of course they wont do).

I will send you my case nr by separate msg.

Message was edited by: davcarls

Message was edited by: davcarls

joperez7798
Visitor

Hi I have not any positive experience with Sony neither custormer service nor support service. I bought the F series last year because of the premiun HD screen. When ordered, it was in a free HDD upgrade period that never came with my computer. The person who dealt with the situation was totally useless, she was answering about things not related to my enquiries. Then I had a problem with the screen and VAIO software and the Sony support were, well the typical, " use the recovery discs" or showing an incapability when understanding what the problem was with the screen. Fortunately, at the end I could manage to find a solution that it was never told by the support team despite the fact that it should be supposed to be IT professionals. I like the laptop but I do not think I'd buy a Sony laptop again. The 80s' radios/tuners were worrying free and I am still enjoying them though. The problem is which brand has a better customer service, apart from Apple that I will never buy.

Visitor

Not me either.  They appear to have started this forum (a great way for a manufacturer to get good feedback) and then totally ignored everyone's comments and questions.  Also, they are next-to-impossible to get hold of.  My patience are spent with these guys.

Felix