Join now - be part of our community!

HD digital web cam "Exmor" HD digital web camera driver

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
shacko
Visitor

HD digital web cam "Exmor" HD digital web camera driver

Could somebody please give me a link to the 'HD digital camera "Exmor" HD digital web camera' driver, so I can check if I have had the wrong driver installed.

The driver I currently have installed is called 'USB2.0 Camera', which sounds a bit generic for my liking.

In web companion 4 the advanced features are greyed out so I cannot zoom or pan the webcam.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hopefully someone who did not see your last, similar question will be able to help: -

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/760291#760291

My VPCSB Vaio shows the camera as 'USB 2.0 Camera' in Device Manager and shows the driver as USBVIDEO.SYS which is a Windows 7 generic driver and is part of the Windows 7 installation..  My built -in webcam is not capable of zoom or pan but it is an older model than yours.

I think your webcam is working as it should.  Where did you get the information that it can zoom and pan?

:thinking:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hopefully someone who did not see your last, similar question will be able to help: -

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/760291#760291

My VPCSB Vaio shows the camera as 'USB 2.0 Camera' in Device Manager and shows the driver as USBVIDEO.SYS which is a Windows 7 generic driver and is part of the Windows 7 installation..  My built -in webcam is not capable of zoom or pan but it is an older model than yours.

I think your webcam is working as it should.  Where did you get the information that it can zoom and pan?

shacko
Visitor

In the Webcam Companion 4 software when you click capture, then webcam settings, then advanced.., then camera control. The camera control settings are greyed out. These include the zoom and pan etc. It would be helpful to me if you could see if yours are greyed out too.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi shako,

Yes, my Advanced Settings are all greyed out as well.

shacko
Visitor

Do you not find that odd, to show possible settings, but not give you the option to change them? I had a Sony laptop prior to this one (5 years old) and it could zoom and pan the image.

mydearcosmo
Visitor

I guess it is part of a marketing strategy where you need to upgrade into a much better version for you to use other features. That is how I find it and it is quite annoying.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

shacko wrote:

Do you not find that odd, to show possible settings, but not give you the option to change them? I had a Sony laptop prior to this one (5 years old) and it could zoom and pan the image.

Not really, the software in question is third-party, generic stuff designed for use with any webcam you can buy - including large bolt on cameras that do have the ability to pan and zoom. It is not Sony software.

To be fair, nowhere do Sony claim that the webcam has these functions and I don't know any Notebook that does.  What model Vaio did you have before?

shacko
Visitor

I had a Vaio model number: VGN-SZ1VP/C, which did a 1.5x and a 2x zoom.

I understand an optical zoom would be out of the question.

All I wanted was a digital zoom, like any cheap model phone can now do.

I think Sony are being lazy, they could do it 6 years ago with the VGN-SZ1VP/C laptop, why not now.

I cannot see why a software upgrade couldn't take the large image it can capture, crop it to appear like a zoom and transmit it as a smaller image.

My cynical self agrees with 'mydearcosmo'.

Anyway, I finally got an email from Sony, saying it cannot do these simple things.

Thanks for your help Blencogo.