Join now - be part of our community!

HDD Making Clicking Noise

dreak
Visitor

HDD Making Clicking Noise

Hi,
In August 04 I purchased a Sony VAIO VGN-A115B Laptop, which is perfect for my need¿s however just recently the Harddrive Seems to be making a weird clicking noise (at least I think it¿s the harddrive) Two, Three or more times every few minuets it gets extremely annoying.

I¿ve looked this up on google and quite a few people seem to think this is normal but why would it have only just started happening?

Has anyone experienced this problem before, or have any suggestions of what I could do?

Thanks¿

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Why the sound should have become evident only recently I am not sure.

As I understand, Laptop hard drives `park¿ on a regular basis to avoid possible damage resulting from mobility. This is possibly associated with the sound that you are hearing.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would check it with Everest Home Edition avaiable from www.lavalys.com

dreak
Visitor

I downloaded that program and checked, it didn't return any error's or anything. Thanks for the reply's though

dreak
Visitor

Just an update to this if anyone has the same clicking noise getting more frequent, yesterday i started reciving the message "Primary Hard Drive Failure" on booting windows, eventually after 6-7reboots it got into windows and i was able to back up all my documents...

I'm now waiting for tomorrow to call sony and see what they're going to do about it.

If you send it off, how long on average do they have it for? Because i rely on this for my work.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

5-10 working days

profile.country.sv_SE.title
fadik555
Visitor

Hi

My Siny Vaio VPC-F13S0E is making the same clicking noise. I think its from the HDD. The difference is that it keeps clicking, and the laptop freezes. It restarts itself and i get an error message before it goes to windows. Error says: "Operating system not found". I bought my laptop in december 2010 and it has done it maybe 5 times. It all goes back to normal when i restart it by long pressing the on/off button.

I recorded it...