Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI audio does not function after OS upgrade to Windows 7

profile.country.en_GB.title
michaelsylvain
Visitor

HDMI audio does not function after OS upgrade to Windows 7

I've a Sony Vaio VGN-FW31ZJ, which originally came with Windows Vista (64 bit). I upgraded to Windows 7 earlier this year.

Since upgrading, when I connect my Vaio to an HD Television using an HDMI cable, no sound is output. Looking in in Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Manage Devices, the ATI HDMI Audio shows as disconnected, and so cannot be accessed. There is no way of getting this to device to show as connected - unplugging and replugging it in, starting up with the HDMI cable already connnecting - nothing works.

Before I upgraded, the same cable and TV connnected fine. As a result, I can output video via HDMI but cannot output sound.

There was an updated driver (Realtek 6.0.1.5886) which is listed in the Vaio update as solving the problem 'HDMI audio does not function after OS upgrade to Windows 7'. I've installed this update but the problem remains.

I would have contacted Sony to ask for support, but as the model is out of warranty, Sony don't even let you get in touch with their support services. So the level of support from Sony appears to be zero (thanks Sony). Perhaps someone here can help?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
crloveg
Visitor

Hi there,

I have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Kind regards,

Craig.