Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI display

profile.country.tr_TR.title
Inishta
Visitor

HDMI display

Hi there ...I hope you will bear with me as this may be a question with a simple answer. I have recently bought a VPCEB41E1. This was to replace my aging Vaio which I have been really pleased with.

I have an HD graphics card installed and hoped to watch some movies using the hdmi port.  Since I got the laptop there has been no signal from the hdmi. I have been through all the display settings without success and have resorted to playing movies through the VGA as I did with the old computer. We tested the computer and cable on a freinds set up with the same result. Is there something that I need to do to tell the laptop that I wish to use the HDMI port or is this going to be a warranty issue. This problem is so frustrating especially for an oldie like me.

Many thanks

Inishta

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Hmm. Ok.

First things first. VPCEB41E1 isn't a valid model name. I guess the first '1' is actually a 'J' or an 'L'. The difference is that one is Intel and the other ATI graphics, which would be relevant here.

That being said, there isn't really much difference in the settings you need to make between using VGA-out and HDMI-out. Of course you want to use HDMI to get the image quality benefit and sound output, but the handling is virtually identical and you succeed with the VGA cable.

Assuming you are connecting the VAIO to a TV, the only obvious difference would be that most TV's these days have a single VGA input, but a bunch of HDMI inputs. So it would in theory be possible that the TV is set to a different HDMI input than the cable is plugged to.

When you have plugged in the HDMI cable on both sides and the VGA cable disconnected, do the display settings in Windows (right click empty spot on the desktop, personalize, display settings) show one or two monitors active?

You say you tested the VAIO and the HDMI cable on a friend's TV - but have you tested another HDMI cable?