Join now - be part of our community!

Help needed for a noisy fan and overheating VAIO!!

CraigyBaby
Visitor

Help needed for a noisy fan and overheating VAIO!!

Hi

Can anyone help me or give some advice please!?...

I have a Sony Vaio VGH-A5178. It's almost two years old but for the last month, everytime I turn it on to use it, after about 20 minutes it begins to heat up very rapidly and the fan is very loud. I used to be able to leave it on for half a day and it would still be fairly cool and quiet. I decided to buy an external hard drive an transfer all my music files to that but it is still as noisy as ever!

Why is it getting so hot so quickly all of a sudden after all this time?

I'd be grateful if anyone could help and give me some advice!

Craig

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi CraigyBaby,

Chances are that you have a build up of dust and crud in the cooling vents.

Occasionally disassembly is required to solve the problem but in the first instance try an Air Duster (compressed air) blown into the cooling vents from a distance of approx. 100mm - make sure that you hold the can upright.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Caoil
Visitor

I too need help with a noisy fan!

I'm looking for a different solution to the one above though since my VGN-CR11Z is brand new and the problem has existed pretty much since the moment I first turned it on. The fan seems to be going constantly, in an on-off-on-off manner. The laptop is pretty much never silent, which is hard to understand particularly when this thing is being marketed as some sort of fashion accessory! I was also alarmed to see it being reviewed on a laptop website as 'one of the quietest laptops [the reviewer] ever used' - this is certainly not the case for me!

I wouldn't say its overheating as such, the laptop itself is at an acceptable temperature most of the time (the adapter however gets extremely hot very quickly).

The DVD drive has also become worryingly noisy but thats a matter for another thread!

I haven't seen anyone else posting on the forum about this particular laptop yet - am I to assume that things are generally okay with them and I'm just stuck with a dud?