Join now - be part of our community!

Help please ;-( windows installer has stopped working

thomashouston
Visitor

Help please ;-( windows installer has stopped working

My windows installer just hangs at the first prompt 'preparing to install' and never gets past that. If I try and deinstall the same happens. I have tried to reregister installer but that did nothing. I have a pcv RS504 on XP home and service pack 2. Any help would be apreciated :cry:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Go to the command prompt and type in CHKDSK/F and defragment the c drive several times. Also download Tune Up Utilities 2206 from here It might be spyware as well so get spybot and do a scan

thomashouston
Visitor

Go to the command prompt and type in CHKDSK/F and defragment the c drive several times. Also download Tune Up Utilities 2206 from here It might be spyware as well so get spybot and do a scan

HI

I tried going to dos and issuing CHKDSK/F but it told me it couldn't lock the volume as there were other rpocesses running. I went to accessories and am using the defrag there. it said I didn't need it but I ran it anyway. Will this do the same job?

I have ad aware installed and Norton internet security 2006. I have updated ad aware and am running it at the moment

Something seems to wrong with norton as well. I tried downloading the latest update today and it failed! Don't know if it is the same problem

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Here's how to get rid of that Can't lock Volume message:

Issue the command:

CHKDSK C: /F /R /X

SAMPLE OUTPUT:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows XP Professional C:\Documents and Settings\James>chkdsk c: /F /R /X
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

When prompted press Y.

Now reboot your computer. CheckDisk can now scan the disk drive with minimal parts of Windows XP operating. The computer will reboot a second time once the scan is complete, and all messages are logged to the Event Viewer (EVENTVWR.EXE).

To see the results of the scan search for USER32 in the System Logs section of the Event Viewer application.