Join now - be part of our community!

Help with clean Installation of XP Pro on VGN-FE31Z

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
iahatte
Visitor

Help with clean Installation of XP Pro on VGN-FE31Z

Hi there

I needed to replace the hard drive on a VGN-FE31Z, no recovery disk and was XP Media Centre.  I had an old XP Pro with Service Pack 1 disc and code from a defunt desktop.  I have done a clean install on the new hard drive but there are a few issues:-

The following hardware will not find the drivers:-

1 - SM Bus Controller

2 - Network Controller

3 - Modem Device on High End Audio Bus

I do have a standard XP with Service Pack 3 disk from a defunct laptop but I assumed because I was able to locale and download SP3 for the XP Pro installation that would have updated XP Pro.

Finally I cannot get the wireless to connect and do not know if it because of one of the issues above.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Running the Wireless LAN Starter program gets as far as 'Checking the wireless LAN settings' then get thrwon the following error:-

'The wireless LAN driver cannot be enabled'

Thanks Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ian and welcome.

Have you installed ALL the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities from here?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FE31Z/updates

Download the Original Drivers Package from the Preinstalled Drivers & Utilities Tab.  Right-click on the downloaded .ZIP file and choose 'Extract All'.  Choose to extract the files to somewhere you can find them easily (C:\Drivers?)

Most of the drivers have a 'Setup.EXE' to install but some may need to be installed from inside Device Manager.

Repeat for the Preinstalled Utilities Package.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ian and welcome.

Have you installed ALL the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities from here?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FE31Z/updates

Download the Original Drivers Package from the Preinstalled Drivers & Utilities Tab.  Right-click on the downloaded .ZIP file and choose 'Extract All'.  Choose to extract the files to somewhere you can find them easily (C:\Drivers?)

Most of the drivers have a 'Setup.EXE' to install but some may need to be installed from inside Device Manager.

Repeat for the Preinstalled Utilities Package.

:thinking:

iahatte
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Blencogo, it is getting late here but I will double check tomorrow night after work and report back.

iahatte
Visitor

Apologies for the late reply.  Thanks for the suggestions, after another look through the files I downloaded I was able to run the 'exe' files and managed to get all that was missing.  Laptop is now back in action.

ShashawBlack
Visitor

That's an easy way to fix the Network controller. Fixed the issue from Device Manager.