Join now - be part of our community!

Help with 'launch start up repair' problem

profile.country.en_IE.title
pc18765
Visitor

Help with 'launch start up repair' problem

Hi, I'm using a LAIO VGN FW11E

Laptop froze on a webpage, when it was turned off and then rebooted, it gave me two options 1. Launch Start Up Repair (Recommended)
and 2. Start Windows Normally.

Neither works.

Launch Start Up Repair takes 5 to 10 minutes then shows a large cursor icon (that can be moved) and a light bluey green screen with a message that reads 'Recovery Tools are being launched. Please wait.

Left like this for 2 or 3 hours and nothing happens.

Start Windows Normally goes to load and then crashes with a one second glimpse of a bright blue screen and starts rebooting the very same info again.

It will not let me load up the recovery discs.

It will let me get into the BIOS but nothing in there changes the problem.

Booting in safe mode, safe mode with networking or the other listed recommendations still brings me the same result.

Help Please. 

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi pc18765,

I assume that you have tried booting with recovery disk 1 in the drive? You could also try tapping F10 at boot to enter the recovery utility on the hard drive. If either of these work be aware that the recovery to factory settings will wipe all personal data and third party software.

If neither of these options work then there is a possibility that there is a hardware problem - hard drive or other component.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_IE.title
pc18765
Visitor

Hi Rich

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

In answer to your question I have indeed tried booting with recovery disc 1 and also F10, F2 and F8 to try to return to the factory settings but I'm getting no where.

This is probably a stupid question but If i were to use a hard drive from another laptop (not the same type or model) would it get beyond the problem, or is that even possible?

Paul

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul,

The answer to that depends on whether it is a hard drive problem. I suspect that it probably is so worth a try.

You will need a SATA drive – 2.5” x 9.5mm. Make sure that it is NOT an Advanced Format drive with larger 4096 byte (4 KB) sectors as opposed to older drives having 512-byte sectors as the recovery media will probably not work with an AF drive.

You will then need to install the OS using either your recovery disks or a retail copy of Windows plus available drivers and utilities from the Sony Support site on the new hard drive to achieve a functioning system/notebook.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat