Join now - be part of our community!

Help with recovery from usb to a new ssd disk

profile.country.no_NO.title
arildjr
Visitor

Help with recovery from usb to a new ssd disk

Hi.

Have been struggeling for a couple of days now. I recently bought a Sony Vaio VPCYA1V9E 11.6" laptop.

Upgraded it to 8gb ram and bought a 60gb SSD disk. (Replacement for the 500gb original).

Tried with norton ghost to ghost the disk first. Ghost doesnt like that the disk is smaller so it wont let me ghost.. Fair enough.

Tried Vaio recovery (there is no optical unit on this one) And it needed a usb pen on min. 16 gb. I bought one and made recovery disk for this one. When i remove the original disk it boots from the usb and starts the vaio recovery. Then it asks if i want to backup my files before recovery, i press no (since the disk is brand new) and it goes to a blue blank window with only the mouse cursor showing and no activity after that.

I let that window stay for 10 minutes and nothing happened.. tried to do this 3 times with same result.

When i made the usb in vaio care or what its called I even checked the verify data option.

Ended up with putting the slow 500gb hdd back in the laptop.

Anyone got a clue on how i should get my SSD working?

Best regards

Arild

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I wonder if it is worth trying to make a set of Recovery DVDs with an external USB DVD writer?  No particular reason why it should work but it is something to try while waiting for an answer from Vaio Support???

You have already tried to 'mirror' the drive with something like Acronis haven't you?

:thinking: