Join now - be part of our community!

Help with spring clean....

Kippax
Visitor

Help with spring clean....

My FS315Z has gradually been running slower and slower of late so, with the help of some very useful threads on here I have been undertaking a bit of a clean-up.

However, there is one detail that I'm unsure about how to get around.

C Drive is approx 40GB with 7% free-space
D Drive is approx 60GB with 97% free-space

How can I re-organise things in a more balanced fashion. I'm nervous about simply dragging folders from one to the other as I've no idea of the implications.

Grateful for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2
remataklan
Visitor

If you still use the preinstalled Windows XP you may download and install the MS tool TweakUI from here. With this tool you can change the conections of some folders. First you copy your private folders like my documents, my music, my videos and so on to the drive D. You my also do this with temp folders like temporary internet files. And then start TweakUI; under the topic "special folder" you can choose the new locations of the folders you copied. And after that if everything works fine you may deleted the source folders on C.

Another idea would be to use a Partionmanager and reduce the size of D to increase C.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Kippax,

In addition to remataklan suggestions..

If you My Documents folder is rather large have you thought of changing the default location from C to D.?

I have attached a guide from microsoft, should you wish to change your my documents location, click the following link to view the guide: How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

Also you can alter the sizes of the HDD partitions..

The Sony way is to use the Vaio recovery tool and at no 10 select C & D Recovery (Change Partition size)..
However all the data on your hard drive(s) will be removed and then your Vaio will be recovered back to the factory settings..

Alternatively a third party program something like Paragon partition manager should allow you to resize partitions without data loss...

Which ever way use choose it's a good idea to back up all important data first.. :wink: