Join now - be part of our community!

Hmm, no USB booting???

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Hmm, no USB booting???

Well, perhaps my overjoyment with the hardware in my FS-295XP was premature.

Got my system setup perfectly, and am going to make a Norton Ghost backup of the system. My usual method involves a bootable USB memory key. Every PC I have owned in the last 5 years has been capable of booting from it, including my 3yr old Dell laptop.

Can I get this Vaio to boot from it? Nope.. Looks like USB booting is not supported (unless someone knows different).

Can this really be true?? If so, I may consider returning it, as I cannot function without bootable removable storage, and this laptop has no floppy.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Well I have to agree with you regarding Dick to DVD and the Hortons rubbish and spyware prone toolbars but you can't knock the Adobe package plus I got the MS Works but they are obviously not doing that anymore (when it installs LOL). Overall I was quite impressed with the package onboard and you can simply uninstall anything you don't like. Nero would have been better too but I would rather have more than I need than less.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

On an interesting note, some of the sony software thrown at random onto my pc when it was welded together by monkeys had spyware detected in it, eg keyloggers.

kee-lo_

Yeah the Adobe stuff is great - a nice addition to the VAIO family

i'm with mgillespie on this issue. Booting from usb is a very useful feature. I have external usb drives with an OS installed so that I can use it for recovery or to try out OS's without trashing the native install on the laptop.

I also use a usb thumbdrive with a bootable linux installation from time to time.

On the question of software, machines should come with a clean OS install and maybe a script that offers the option of installing your preferred choice of cr@p.

kee-lo_

True
You'd think Sony VAIO would be flexible as it's meant to suit the multimedia crowd