Join now - be part of our community!

Hot, hot VAIO

tdw197
Visitor

Hot, hot VAIO

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with my VAIO (fs-285), the laptop temperature has increased at idle from 47-50 up to 64, overnight!

The heat seems to be coming from the right side, which I'm guessing is where the processor is.

I'm sure everyone will suggest blowing compressed air through the intake vent, but I'm not sure where this is!

Also could it be that some form of spyware etc can have got on the PC, I've run all the usual checks but found nothing.

My VAIO is still under guarantee for another month, so if anyone thinks it's worth sending it back let me know asap

Any help greatly is greatly appreciated.

Tom

5 REPLIES 5
IceXS
Visitor

Hi Tom,

I was in your situation about 2 months ago...I have the FS285M and it began overheating with the fans kicking into overdrive even at idle. I had temp recordings hitting 70oC from the rear vent.

Likewise, the heat seemed to come from the right side underneath. I spoke to Sony who advised a bios update but this had no effect.

After being told the usual things like clean the vents out with compressed air, Sony eventually agreed to take my laptop in (but only because the feet on my unit had become detached due to the adhesive melting with the heat!!)

Anyway...Sony replaced my CPU and Fan!!!!

Luckily I was 2 weeks inside my warranty. I would advise you to treat this fairly seriously. Although our problems may not be the same, I wouldn't like to see you have to deal with this outside your warranty!

Contact sony and persuade them to have a look. Worst case scenario, you will have to pay transport and labour costs if nothing is wrong. (But be warned, these costs can be high too!!)

Goodluck

tdw197
Visitor

Thanks IceXS

Think I might give sony a ring (again.....)

tdw197
Visitor

I have been looking further into this and think I may be getting somewhere.

I've been watching the idle CPU usage and this seems to average at 43%.

Now this seems rather hight to me, even though I do have a fair amount of gubbins in my system tray, (skype, msm, dvd43, ccx, avg etc)

Any ideas on what a "normal" usage would be, before I restore my comp.

Thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

43 is alright, but between 30-39 is average.

tdw197
Visitor

43 is alright, but between 30-39 is average.

Well I bit the bullet and did a system restore and am currently removing all the vaio rubbish and putting my own rubbish on it instead, but....

The temp is now back down to 49!

I'm currently installing office, on the web and have all sorts of other junk in the sys tray, but the temp is 50 and CPU usage is 2%

Not sure what was doing it, but something was definitely eating up in my CPU and causing it to work overtime