Join now - be part of our community!

how can I assign more memory for video card (Intel 945gm express chipset)?

ggree
Visitor

how can I assign more memory for video card (Intel 945gm express chipset)?

I have a vaio vgn-n21s/w with Intel 945gm express chipset. How can I assign more memory fr the video chipset?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ggree,

You cannot assign more dedicated memory to the Intel GMA950. The system will automatically allocate memory depending on the needs of each application.

This will be limited by

1. the maximum usable = 256MB

2. the Spare RAM available (I would add at least another 512MB to the 1024MB supplied with your N-Series Vaio).

All you can do is to make sure you mave as much RAM as possible installed in your Vaio - the allocation is automatic. Your GMA950 has 32MB of dedicated graphics memory and can "share" an additional 224MB from RAM if it is available = 256MB maximum shared with main memory with Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.1

:wink:

ggree
Visitor

I see... I also tried to update the driver of this chipset with the last one of Intel but vista didn't permit it because the upload is not permitted by productor (sony)

(thanks for your help!!)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony usually like to test driver upgrades on their Vaios before releasing them via Vaio Update.

Even so, I am a little surprised that you can't install the latest GMA950 driver but I see someone else from Germany raised this a few days ago and I believe Seb escalated this to Sony Support to check if this is correct. If we get a reply, I will pass it on.

:slight_frown:

ggree
Visitor

it's very kind of you. I tryed to install the last one (winvista_1543) but installation fails due to the reason I said before.
I'm loking forward news form you. have a good night! ciao!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's assigned by the OS, it can't be changed due to memory management by the OS.