Join now - be part of our community!

How can I use my old Vaio as a second monitor?

SOLVED
profile.country.de_DE.title
Castleheart
Visitor

How can I use my old Vaio as a second monitor?

I just replaced my old Vaio, model VGC-LV140J, with a new all-in-one, the VPC-L232FX/B.

I want to know how I can utilize my old Vaio as a dual monitor for my newer one. I've tried connecting them both up via HDMI cable, but I wasn't able to configure a new monitor that way. How can I correctly do this?

The old Vaio has Windows Vista, and the new one is running Windows 7. Is this a problem, or not significant?

Looking very forward to any word from the community.

My deepest appreciation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Castleheart - my you are impatient!

Your only hope is a HDMI cable - no such thing as HDMI to S-Video as one is a digital signal and the other is analogue.  You should be able to connect and configure the HDMI out of your new Vaio to the HDMI in of your old Vaio.  Remember you cannot display protected content on more than one monitor.  Vista should make no difference.

Have you tried setting up multiple monitors in the Intel Graphics Driver Properties Display Panel?  Have a look here: -

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031040.htm

As both your Vaios are US models, the specifications may not be known to European users but I'm sure anyone who has experience of this will help if they can.  Users don't always come here every day so give people a chance to read your question.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Castleheart
Visitor

A few other specs that I forgot to mention:

The old Vaio has an HDMI input, as well as an S-Video input. I suspect that I will need to purchase an HDMI to S-Video cable.

Castleheart
Visitor

Bump!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Castleheart - my you are impatient!

Your only hope is a HDMI cable - no such thing as HDMI to S-Video as one is a digital signal and the other is analogue.  You should be able to connect and configure the HDMI out of your new Vaio to the HDMI in of your old Vaio.  Remember you cannot display protected content on more than one monitor.  Vista should make no difference.

Have you tried setting up multiple monitors in the Intel Graphics Driver Properties Display Panel?  Have a look here: -

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031040.htm

As both your Vaios are US models, the specifications may not be known to European users but I'm sure anyone who has experience of this will help if they can.  Users don't always come here every day so give people a chance to read your question.

:thinking: