Join now - be part of our community!

How to enable VT extensions on VAIO laptop with upgraded CPU?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tootoo
New

How to enable VT extensions on VAIO laptop with upgraded CPU?

have a SONY VAIO VGN-FW51JF laptop, which originally have Core 2 Duo P7450 CPU installed, which comes without VT-X extensions.

Apparently P7x50 CPU series with disabled VT-X were created for large customers like SONY, to reduce ambiguities related to series of notebooks with CPUs with VT extensions available but without an option to enable them in BIOS - all because better bulk price agreements with Intel require OEMs to disable VT extensions.

To the point - today I upgraded to P8700 and the CPU was bought in a retail box package so SONY agreements should not affect capabilities of my CPU. I know now my machine is not supported, at least by SONY servicing network/partners.

What options do I have to enable VT-X of my CPU? Is there any BIOS available to download for upgraded hardware or different series of VAIO laptops ?

It seems problems with lack of virtualization in VAIO are quite common, yet I hope there are some official solutions out there other than hacking a BIOS in some way, like using levicki's patch.

Is there any NVRAM setting which activates BIOS options, offset and value would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There is a BIOS update for the original CPU. If your VAIO hardware supports Intel Virtualization Technology, this setting will be added to the BIOS.

Whether this will work for upgraded hardware I don’t know.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Updates/EP00002...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There is a BIOS update for the original CPU. If your VAIO hardware supports Intel Virtualization Technology, this setting will be added to the BIOS.

Whether this will work for upgraded hardware I don’t know.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Updates/EP00002...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
tootoo
New

Thanks, it worked.