Join now - be part of our community!

How to find beep codes please? (No manual!)

Gep2
Visitor

How to find beep codes please? (No manual!)

Hi, my elderly Vaio won't boot :cry: - four beeps on power-up, black screen, disk and fan whiring but not doing anything. I am trying to download the manual (FX400_s_UK.pdf) but it just times out. Does anyone know what four beeps means please? Is it the memory?

TIA!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gep2 and welcome,

Beep codes are usually made up of short and long beeps. If the beep code consists of one long beep followed by three short beeps then it will usually be a video problem.

Can you confirm the sequence of the beebs....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Gep2
Visitor

Thanks for replying Rich.

The beeps are short - or at least they were. Now all I get is a black screen and a forbidding silence...!

I will try a new memory module and see what happens... Do you know where I might get a copy of the manual by any chance please? Just in case I get back to the beeps...

Gep2
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Just tried another memory module and it worked. Somehow the old memory just died. 😞

Thanks for your help though!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

That’s good news Gep2 and I’m pleased to hear that all is now working.

You should be able to download a copy of the user manual for your model from Vaio link (Click Support tab at the top of this page). I doubt somehow that it will provide beep codes but may come in handy on other occasions....

EDIT: The Support site seems to have been experiencing some problems over the last few days which may explain why you have received a time out message.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat