Join now - be part of our community!

How to reduce fan noise on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ3HP

fjcmurphy
Visitor

How to reduce fan noise on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ3HP

Hello!

I have tried to reduce the fan noise on my Sony Vaio SZ3HP with setting the Power Properties > CPU Fan Control > Level 1 (quiet).

or using the S2 button set to "lower fan noise" (this doesn't do anything for me!)

But this is far from being quiet.

Can you help or point me to some solutions?

Thanks,
frank

3 REPLIES 3
Ladgaz
Visitor

Hi,

"Give your laptop a real good blowjob"
I had the same problem with the fan getting louder by time.
I blew into my laptop where the fan is located and removed the dust. Later the noise was less loud.

Hope I could help you

Ladgaz

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Use compressed air for this rather than your mouth though

thorsten.a
Visitor

I have tried to reduce the fan noise on my Sony Vaio SZ3HP with setting the Power Properties > CPU Fan Control > Level 1 (quiet).

or using the S2 button set to "lower fan noise" (this doesn't do anything for me!)

But this is far from being quiet.

I have just bought the same model and must agree to you: the CPU fan is much too loud and really annoying. I tried every energy setting to get it slower. When running only on batteries the noise is a little more acceptable (but far away from being silent). Running on current is a pain in a silent room.

Here are some CPU temperatures showing the cause of the noise:

[Powerschemes always "Maxium battery plus", same settings for batteries and curent (every device except WLAN is deactivated , Stamina mode, display light 3]

CPU temperatures are being monitored with MobileMeter in a room with 20°C:

Notebook running with ...
- ...current: 48-49°C, disturbing fan noise
- ... battery: 45°C, a little less fan noise

Because the power scheme settings are exactly the same in my test I have no idea why the temperate changes immediately. Perhaps some windows XP throttling settings?

And as you wrote: The button S2 has definitely no effect. In no power scheme. It seems that it is just a joke from Sony!

BTW I had to to claims for a new notebook: silent and a long battery life. Both has not been fulfilled.

Thorsten