Join now - be part of our community!

How to ugrade my VGN_AR71ZU from Vista Ultiamte to Windows7 Home Premium...Help!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
V-Woman
Explorer

How to ugrade my VGN_AR71ZU from Vista Ultiamte to Windows7 Home Premium...Help!

I have VGN-AR71ZU with Vista Ultimate and husband purchased W7 Home Premium as could not afford the Ultimate.. but problem is although I have no problems getting W7HM on and working...I don't know how to get the necessary other softs needed to operate my VAIO and it's utilities etc....After installing W7 I put in my recovery discs to try get my programs and Utilities etc..... but they would not install and assume it is because they were Recovery discs for Vista..... Can anyone tell me where to get full dummy instructions....on how to get my VAIO Utilites + programs etc back on my laptop once W7HP has been installed......It would be 32bit I most probably would be installing.....

I have recovered my VAIO back to factory settings in order to start all over again  :cry:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi VAIOWomanZ,

As your system came with Vista Ultimate the only way to preserve all Sony software and utilities on your particular model is to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit version; any other version requires a clean install (Custom option).

Your model is not supported by Sony for Win 7 but, after a clean install you can download the original Vista utilities and drivers from support but as they failed to install from your recovery disks these may also fail. There are also updated utilities and drivers available on this link. The software (programs) that came preinstalled on your system is not available for download.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR71ZU

You could try the utilities and drivers from a similar model that came preinstalled with Vista Home Premium – such as the AR61E.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR61E

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi VAIOWomanZ,

As your system came with Vista Ultimate the only way to preserve all Sony software and utilities on your particular model is to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit version; any other version requires a clean install (Custom option).

Your model is not supported by Sony for Win 7 but, after a clean install you can download the original Vista utilities and drivers from support but as they failed to install from your recovery disks these may also fail. There are also updated utilities and drivers available on this link. The software (programs) that came preinstalled on your system is not available for download.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR71ZU

You could try the utilities and drivers from a similar model that came preinstalled with Vista Home Premium – such as the AR61E.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR61E

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
V-Woman
Explorer

Oh dear Lol NOT!

Thanks Richard for your help.....is there a start point and an end point of order to downloading these to my lappy?

Would I just start from the top and make my way down until exhausted all?

Do you see anything/forsee anything that may be missing on the download lists?

Sorry to bother you.....much appreciate input.

V-Woman
Explorer

Just realised.......last night on the recovery disks I ticked off all the programs etc drivers....

Do they need to be done one at a time??? If so maybe that is why it would nto work as was trying to do all at once...lolz\???????????

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi VAIOWomanZ,

It would certainly be wise to install one driver at a time as, in some instances, there are dependences and often a restart is required after install.

When installing the utilities that control the various function keys there is a set order that must be followed. With your model I think it is the SFEP driver - Sony Firmware Extension Parser (install from within Device Manager by updating the driver using the Have Disk method - the file you need to point to is SFEP.inf) followed by Sony Shared Library, Vaio Event Service and Vaio Control Center – models do vary with this procedure...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
V-Woman
Explorer

One last question my much appreciated friend.

I have managed to get  W7 up and running with working parts and custom apps..... bar blu-ray.......not happy about that one but no doubt will sort in time, but need to use blu-ray ...

Is it possible for me to have both OS's on my lappy and if so assume I would have to partition....but how would I be able to start either when required?????  Sorry if I sound a bit loony :dizzy: but the 'ole brains are at it again.....heeeee:smileylaugh:

Thank you so much for your valuable time Rich. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi VAIOWomanZ,

I'm pleased to hear that you have managed to get Win7 up and running:smileyhappy:

The Blu-ray problem can be solved by purchasing software that supports Blu-ray – something like Power DVD or Corel WINDVD, both of which you can download on a try before you buy basis.

Dual booting is possible but I have no experience of this but there are plenty of guides out there. If necessary, I suggest that you start a new thread in the hope that another member can guide you through the process.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat