Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi euripyd.

The Sony DW-D56A has always been a useless drive. I'm sure you have read this MONSTER THREAD.

This drive usually has to be replaced but look at the last few posts in the thread - MX Motion has had success in fixing his drive by downloading a firmware update from the drive's original manufacturers (Lite-On).

:wink:

skinkendk
Visitor

Thank you for the prompt feedback.

The DVD+R could maybe work, but since it has worked fine with quite a few DVD-R, it would be a bit strange for it to change it's mind, all of the sudden. I will, however, try to burn something as old school as a cd-rom tomorrow and see if that works.

The MS/DRM angle actually makes a lot of sense to me (remembering that our Windows' might be getting prepared for the Zune software, which I understand is to be fairly DRM-heavy). I might just need to investigate what I have in fact downloaded and installed from MS lately, to figure out if anything has lurked past my critical eye. The stuff I want to burn is not DRM protected, as it is my own produce, but DRM might still be the issue on this one.

I shall report back when I have tried to burn a cd, my good sir.

Thank you

euripyd
Visitor

Thank you Blencogo
I will try it, and come back if I manage to fix it...
I am so sad, I believed that it wouldn't happen to SONY....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Goos Luck euripyd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thinking:

MXMotion
Visitor

Hi All,

I am totally convinced this whole farce is down to non compatible firmware updates..

If anybody needs ANY help with this I am available to help.

BTW if you do decide to try a 3rd party firmware update your going to loose your warrenty so tread carefully

Peace out
Motion

euripyd
Visitor

i had no success.... :slight_frown:
I have reinstalled the 1st version (from the link that MX Motion has provided at an another topic).
It didn't work.
Than no2.
and again no 1.
Before I had version no 3.
I have noticed that after I have upgraded to FW no 3 my computer goes on very slowly even I downgraded to FW 1 or 2 (I upgraded also BIOS, and Nvidia card - maybe thats why it goes slowly on from "Welcome" screeen).

I have purchased the notebook in May 2005, in Sweden. I have no warranty any more.

Any idea?
MX Motion?

MXMotion
Visitor

Hi,

everytime I mess about with firmware etc for a little while after my start up is slow too, something maybe not to be too worried about, I've personally never flashed my BIOS as I felt this was a firmware issue with the drive itself and not the computer at fault so I cant really comment on that

Ok this is what I would personally do..

(1) Restore the PC to "factory spec"

(2) Allow the pc's applications to bed in, such as the Vaio Launcher, Norton AV etc so that no other applications are wanting to complete their install/recovery

(3) Another thing I did was to download a RPC2 removal program LtnRPC which is available for download at most locations, now tread carefully as I would never suggest you loose your warrenty as that is what you will do if you use 3rd party software to mess with your exsisting drive firmware. I have used this completely as a work around in order to get MY laptop working as it should.... and then i re enabled the region settings again shortly afterwards

(4) The install the PFS-1 - not forgetting to disable all other programs as you would if you were using the Sony update.

(5) Try PFS-1, It personally did not work for me but try it all the same... attempt a burn or something.

(6) Try PFS-2, this is where my drive roared back into operational condition... a great day indeed.

Get back to me if you need

Motion

MXMotion
Visitor

Ok firstly I would take the laptop back to factory spec by using the recovery discs in the fashion explained already.

then I would make sure that ALL the applications that come with the laptop pre-installed are running ok, (Vaio Launcher etc), and have the full recovery process has been completed. Restart the laptop after this has been done.

Another thing I did was to download a RPC2 removal program LtnRPC which is available for download at most locations, now tread carefully as I would never suggest you loose your warrenty as that is what you will do if you use 3rd party software to mess with your exsisting drive firmware. I have used this completely as a work around in order to get MY laptop working as it should.... and then i re enabled the region settings again shortly afterwards

Now I would begin the process of using the 3rd party firmware updates... Im assuming that you have unpacked them as they come as a rar file.

Start with PFS-1, this totally failed for me, but maybe try a burn at this stage anyway.

Then try PFS-2, at this stage my optical drive burnt like a forrest fire, like a whippet I tells you

Also try as mentioned to clean the drive with an appropiate cleaner disc..

Hope this helps
Motion

MXMotion
Visitor

Hi,

Ok this is what I would do personally IF what Blencogo has suggested and it has not worked

Also before I mention what I would do

again this will void a warrenty and you do so at your own risk

(1)Download and unpack from the .rar file the three stock.exe's for the drive. The reason for unpacking them now is that when your pc is returned to factory configuration you cannot unpack the rar.

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw_slimtype/stock/Sony.D56A.PFS1-PFS2-PFS3.stock.rar

Also find and download a RPC2 removal program LtnRPC. Unpack if neccesary.

And then store the files on a usb memory or external HDD or disc. If you are burning to disc you might want to fill it up with any pictures or other media you want to keep.

(2) Perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery using your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost.

(3) Allow all the pre installed software that comes with the laptop to iinstall itself correctly, Vaio Launcher, Norton IS etc so that nothing else wants to install itself.

(4) Restart the PC.

(5) Place the saved files from section (1) on to your desktop. At this point you might want to try the RPC removal tool LtnRPC. Sometimes it says that it has not done anything but upon checking the properties of the optical drive its deffo removed the RPC-2. Try and burn at this point.. sometimes I had luck with this alone. If still not working properly proceed :

(6) Re-enable the region settings for the drive using the Ltn-RPC. Now once upon a time there was an "issue" with Sony placing a type of encryption on their discs XCP i think it was called.

Ages ago I came across this issue with my laptop, XCP had reduced my drive to a similar state so I decided try this as well after I tried the LtnRPC program, I was desparate at this moment.. i really wanted to fix my laptop:

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

Completely uninstall the XCP software and associated content protection files.

(7) Disable all the things you are meant to do as if you were following the instructions for a Sony Updates firmware installation. Disable the Anti-V, screensaver, hibernation etc.

(8) Flash the PFS-1 on to the drive and restart.

(9) Attempt a burn or something, this failed for me.

(10) Flash the PFS-2 on to the drive and attempt a burn.

Thats all I can suggest. If not then It looks like you may have to consider a replacement drive. may the force be with you.

Motion

gliss
Visitor

Hi,

I have a VGN FE 21M and my cd writer SONY DVD RW DW G520A burns DVDs only with 0,76 speed and CDs with 4-5. It also can be seen that in Nero the drive's buffer always fluctuates between 5 and 100%.

I have tried to reinstall it and to flash it, but the prog says that it cant find the device, but sony says thats normal if the current firmware is installed.

What can I do? Burning a four gig DVD takes !!!! two !!!!! hours.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks!!