Join now - be part of our community!

Increasing RAM in Vaio SVF15A 1C5E

Roynie
Explorer

Increasing RAM in Vaio SVF15A 1C5E

I have a new Vaio SVF15A1C5E and have reverted to Windows 7 Enterprise x64. I would like to upgrade the RAM but can't find out how to. Could someone please advise on what RAM it takes and how to install more?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Challis1991

To upgrade the RAM you will need to remove the cover from the bottom of your VAIO and then place your RAM in the RAM slots, please see this teardown for more information http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFxufF4LSS0 .

To purchase your RAM I highly recommend the website Crucial as you enter the make, model of your laptop and all compatible memory modules will be displayed preventing you from purchasing the wrong kind and damaging your laptop. The maximum amount of RAM that you can install is 16GB which is two sticks of 8GB, expect this to cost £120.

Roynie
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Is that limit due to the hardware itself? Windows 7 Enterprise can go higher but obviously the maximum is dictated by both the hardware and software. It currentlky has 12 Gb of RAM.

Thanks

Challis1991

No problem!

Yes the limit is due to the hardware, if you already have 12GB I don't see much need for upgrading to 16GB really as 12GB should be more than enough for anyone's needs so is it really worth the extra cost?
Roynie
Explorer

No it's not worth buying more, but if there were 4 slots I already have 2 strips of 4Gb DDR3 1333hz so I could possibly drop those in.

Thanks again.

Challis1991

The strips of RAM you already have are unlikely to be compatible anyway as the VAIO Multi-flip accepts a special low voltage kind.

You're welcome :).
Roynie
Explorer

Thanks again, I'll use my spare RAM to upgrade my OH's laptop, I know iot will work in there!