Join now - be part of our community!

Installation of Windows XP on FE41M

Geoff_33
Visitor

Installation of Windows XP on FE41M

Hello,

I installed Windows XP instead of Vista on my laptop vaio FE41M. At the moment I reach to installed all the drivers but I still have some problems.

The "Fn" keys are not working and the keys for the sound, S1 and S2. Does someone know how to fix this problem?

The other point concern the touchpad. With Vista, it was easy do disable it but with XP, I can't manage yet to do it. I know it's possible to do it in the bios but I don't want to go that far. Again can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.
Geoff_33.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Geoff_33 and welcome to Club Vaio.

The Sony Utilities need to be installed for you to get the Special Keys to work. They also control the Vaio Power Management, Camera, Bluetooth etc.

You will need to download the Original Utilities Package for the VGC-FE31Z from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-FE&m=2403

The FE31 is the same as your FE41 except it had XP installed.

After downloading, right-click on the .zip file and choose "Extract All" and extract to C:\Utilities

You may wish to install them all but to get your keys working you must install these by running the Setup.exe in each installer IN ORDER: -

1. Sony Utilities (Utils Installer 1)
2. Sony Shared Library (Utils Installer 2)
3. Vaio Event Setvice (Utils Installer VAIO Event Service)

:wink:

Geoff_33
Visitor

Thank you Blencogo,

I did exactly what you said but with the wrong version. And before I read you answer I downloaded the FE31M version. And now I just have to try your way.