Join now - be part of our community!

Installing a DVD writer

AndyJ101
Visitor

Installing a DVD writer

Oh woe!!! Why didn't I look inside the case of my PCV-RX201 before I ordered my internal DVD writer?

What were they thinking of when they designed this case?

Somebody please tell me that I don't have to rip the guts out of this machine to change the CD-Writer. Please?

7 REPLIES 7
chuckalicious
Visitor

I had the same problem! The cases are nasty, but well put together. I got mine out by taking the side off, and then the top off, and then "forcing" gently the front off, by unclipping the 2 clips at the top/front and it just comes off. If you do this, you should be able to unscrew the 2 screws that hold it in and slide it out. However, rembmer the colour won't match (unless you can get the front of the old one to fir the new one).

AndyJ101
Visitor

Thanks. Its the cables that look really awkward. Was the unit screwed in at both sides? or are you talking about sliding the whole cage out?

I realise the colour is going to be different but there seems to be no way around this - anyway, I'm not that bothered.

chuckalicious
Visitor

It would seem on mine (RX405) that the drive was only screwed in on one side. I couldn't even get the other side off. The cables are okay, if you unplug them first (and assuming it's the same or similar to the 405) it does work fine. You could look into taking the front of the drive off and swapping the covers over, I'm sure some brands let you do that, just not the one I had!
So, in short, if the cable fits the old on, it'll fit the new one as they are all the same size. It's just a squeeze

AndyJ101
Visitor

Thanks - I had a quick look today and can see that with the top off, I can probably slide the drives out IF they were only screwed on one side (otherwise I'd be screwed ;D) You've made me much happier knowing that they are only screwed in on one side!!

:smileygrin:

schedski
Visitor

Got the same problem on my PCV-RX1 - so how do you go about getting the old drive out if the right hand panel isn't removable but the drive is only screwed in on the left?Have got this far but the drive won't budge.

stevep-4
Visitor

I too have a RX405. Not sat at it now, but I recall that once you take the side off (you have to pull a lever at the top - not this is the LEFT hand side, looking from the front).
OInce you get in side, everything seems modualr, and you have to remove everything to get anywhere inside !...but it is all well laid out insode and all hanging from the main chassis.

You might find that you have to remove the power supply and hard drive before you can get anywhere near the DVD drive. But I am sure that every thing should be accessible at some point in the process.

chuckalicious
Visitor

Yep Steve, you're right in the modular bit, it does work quite well once you figure out what catch opens what bit :slight_smile:
I found I didn't need to remove any modules to get at the drives though, I just took the top of the case off (2 wee catches at the back and slid it towards the back of the case). THis gives you full access to all cables and connectors on both drives. Pretty handy.
So you should be able to get to it all without much trouble.