Join now - be part of our community!

Is it possible to change the version of the ATI Mobility Radeon HD?

bultynck
Visitor

Is it possible to change the version of the ATI Mobility Radeon HD?

I have a VGN-FW31M.
My computer is connected to my Plasmascreen with the HDMI-connection via the Home Theather HD Receiver.
The told me that my computer don't support DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. When I see a movie with DTS-HD, I receive on my receiver as DTS. When I see a movie with Dolby TrueHD, I receive on my receiver as PCM 48KHz. It's a PCM 2.0. When I checked the informations on the sound configuration, it mentions this:
Audio / Stream:
- Type: Dolby TrueHD
- Bitrate: 1267 Kbps
- Number of Main channels: 5
- LFE channel: Present
- Sampling Frequency: 48 KHz
- Bits per sample: 24
Audio / Output:
- Sample Rate: 48 KHz
- Bits per sample: 16

It means that when the sound arrives in the receiver, it becomes PCM 16bits/48KHz. Is this a PCM stéréo or 5.1?

When I go to properties of the HDMI periphery, they give me the choice between:
-16 bits, 32000 Hz (Quality radio FM)
-16 bits, 44100 Hz (quality cd)
-16 bits, 48000 Hz (quality dvd)

When I go to the properties of the speakers of my computer, they give me also the following choise:
-24 bits, 48000 Hz (quality studio)
-24 bits, ...

Can somebody here tell me what I have to do If I want PCM 5.1 and not PCM 2.0/

Thanks for your help

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bultynck and welcome.

Have a look here: -

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?template=&info_id=111

It would appear that current VAIO computer systems do not fully support the following:

1. Dolby TrueHD - the computer will send a 2-channel downmixed stream to the A/V receiver
2. DTS-HD Master Audio - the computer system will send a 'core' standard DTS stream to the A/V receiver to decode
3. Uncompressed PCM - the computer system will send a 2-channel downmixed stream to the A/V receiver

:slight_frown:

bultynck
Visitor

Thanks for your answer. It's a shame to Sony to sell a multimedia computer with Blu-ray, HDMI connection for a Full HD screen. But regarding the sound, you have to be happy with the non HD sounds.

On the Site of Vaio they sais this about the VGN-FW31M: "In accordance with the High Definition Sound standards". This is a big Lie of Sony. I paid around 1400€ and finaly I don't have wat I wanted because I important thing was to play zone A blu-ray's on my Full HD screen with HD sound. :angry:

bultynck
Visitor

Is it true that with the new VGN-FW41M with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, I can have on an external receiver PCM 5.1?
If yes, can I change on my VGN-FW31M, the version of the ATI Mobility Radeo HD. From 3470 to 4650? Are there some risks to change the ATI version? And where can I change?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi bullynck,

Unfortunately your graphics chip is soldered to the mother board so it is not upgradable..:smileysad: