Join now - be part of our community!

Is there a way to create a backup for windows 10 even though OEM OS was windows 8?

map252
Explorer

Is there a way to create a backup for windows 10 even though OEM OS was windows 8?

I am planning to install ubuntu 16.04 using dual boot on my Sony VAIO Pro-13 (SVP1321C5E).

However I want to backup my current windows environment in case something goes wrong during the installation. 

However I have noticed if I create recovery media, using vaio care, it will only create it for windows 8/8.1 as this is what originally came on my machine.

If I do somehow mess the dual boot installation up, is there a way to get my current windows 10 system image restored with all my data back on the system?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Spendwell

I believe there is backup creation within Windows 10.

However....I prefer to use stand alone software. Macrium Reflect is excellent and is free. Acronis True Image is also very good and has been my choice for more than 10 years. But is not free.

Macrium is very easy to use and is fast during both create image and restore image.

valerymartyshko
Explorer

Backup can save important data in emergency situations such as a broken HDD, loss of files and infiltration of viruses. For this purpose, you can use Windows built-in tools and third-party freeware and shareware.

You can read the article to help you protect your personal data from non-standard situation by taking only several steps: System and Data bakup.