Join now - be part of our community!

Issues with Sony Vaio VGN-Z31WN/B

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
cryptomaniac
Visitor

Issues with Sony Vaio VGN-Z31WN/B

Hello,

I have been reading a few horror stories on the net of people having problems installing (problem free) Win 7 on this computer and also of GPU over heating. Has somebody resolved these issues yet?

Best// Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nick,

For some people, installing Windows 7 and then all the 7UPG Drivers and Utilities from Sony works out fine.  You will of course lose the preinstalled Sony programs and most of these cannot be downloaded.

But, as you say, some people seem to have problems - particularly around the Speed/Stamina switching - but these should not be insurmountable.  I have not done this myself so I can only pass on comments I have heard.  The decision must be yours.

If you make a couple of sets of Recovery Discs - or even better, take an Image of your present hard drive with something like Acronis True Image - you can always revert to your current OS if necessary.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I have only heard of problems being encountered after a format and a full clean install of Windows 7 without a full installation of ALL the Sony Drivers and Utilities.

I have not heard any problems from Z-Series owners who purchase an UPGRADE version of Windows 7 and who then install ALL the upgraded 7UPG_Drivers provided by Sony here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-Z31WN_B&os=10

:wink:

cryptomaniac
Visitor

Thanks for your prompt help.

Since I have accumulated a lot of junk over the years on the computer I was more inclined on formatting the hard disk and doing a clean/custom installation. But you say that will cause problems.

Can you think of any possible way that a fresh install can be done without incurring problems?

Perhaps, after installing Win 7 with all its updated drivers and utilities, I install all the updated drivers & utilities for Vista business. Do you think it might work?

Best//Nick

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nick,

For some people, installing Windows 7 and then all the 7UPG Drivers and Utilities from Sony works out fine.  You will of course lose the preinstalled Sony programs and most of these cannot be downloaded.

But, as you say, some people seem to have problems - particularly around the Speed/Stamina switching - but these should not be insurmountable.  I have not done this myself so I can only pass on comments I have heard.  The decision must be yours.

If you make a couple of sets of Recovery Discs - or even better, take an Image of your present hard drive with something like Acronis True Image - you can always revert to your current OS if necessary.

:thinking:

cryptomaniac
Visitor

Hello Blencogo,

thanks again for your input. It's much appreciated.

The dialogue always feels reassuring even though I am reading up as much as I can on Sony & MS websites:)

Here is another scenario: Perhaps,  I can do a fresh install of Vista business from the recovery disks and get all the Sony products installed as well. And then do an upgrade to Win 7. The question is, will I have to update all the drivers & utlities on Vista before I upgrade to Win 7 or not?

And by the way, I read somewhere that once you upgrade the system it cannot be reverted back to the original OS. Have you any info on this?

Finally, do you have the aforesaid Vaio computer also and have you installed/upgraded to win 7? If so, then is everything working fine? And can you send me a detailed step by step instruction? I know I am asking for much, but only if you have the time and inclination.

Cheers//Nick