Join now - be part of our community!

iTunes unusably slow - Brand New VAIO Laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
Heebson
Visitor

iTunes unusably slow - Brand New VAIO Laptop

Hi folks,

I just received two new Vaio VPCEB4C5E laptops this week. These laptops are for my kids and after schoolwork, using iTunes for their iPod Touchs is one of the main uses for them.

The issue is that  iTunes performs so slowly as to be unusable. I've looked at the internet and have seem similar problems reported, but most were about losing the library - this doesn't happen - simply unusuably slow.

Focussing on one laptop, and following advice I found in  the Apple forums, I tried removing the VAIO media player, then gradually more and more VAIO software - stopping short of Event Listener, VAIO Care and Power Management. I tried stopping related services. I even uninstalled the McAfee demo. All to no avail.

I've set iTunes to run as Administrator, I've set the priority to High - no improvement and the CPU usage never goes above 5% total, nor memory above 35%!?

It does seem volume related - Vaio #1 has ~2k songs/6Gb Library (there are movies & apps) and Vaio #2 has ~10k songs/43Gb Lib.

#1 is taking ~2 mins to switch between say Appstore and Music Library; #2 simply never completes the switch.

The media files are stored on a home NAS. I already have a 5yr-old Dell connected to it and iTunes runs fine. (I've tried wifi and wired connections from laptop to NAS.)

I raised a ticket with Sony - the reply was talk to Apple of ask for a replacement/refund!?

I'm really running out of ideas - short of a clean Win7 install.

I just can't understand why a brand new 2.53GHz, Win 7 64bit, 3Gb laptop should be struggling with this!?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Heeb

Message was edited by: Heebson

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
theshowak
Visitor

Hi Heeb

I have exactly the same problem with my Laptop which I think is the same or at least similar to yours VPCEB4E4.

My iTunes is so slow, I select an option and it responds 2 minutes later, deleting a song just takes forever.

Is there some sort of fix to this?

Did you work out what went wrong, did u sort it?

Can anyone help us please??

Adam

matthewpmatt
Visitor

I think I have the same problem with my sony vaio laptop. Itunes seems to freeze annoyingly regularly for a minute or so making it frustrating to use. Did you fix the issue?

Matt