Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop is turning itself off

profile.country.en_GB.title
Littlelegs97
Visitor

Laptop is turning itself off

My laptop ( model VPCEB2MOE, Windows 7) which I have had for 2 and a half years (December 2010 to the present) has been making strange noises as if there are paperclips inside the machine, overheats a lot and turns itself off after ten minutes of being logged onto it, that's if you're lucky to reach the log in point. It has made a clicky noise when it starts up since I bought it but it has never been a problem before. How can I fix this issue, as the local Sony stores have now all closed.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Littlelegs97 and welcome.

It could be many things.

The most common cause of random shutdowns is overheating caused by dust accumulating in the fan and air vents. You can download a program like 'PC Wizard' which will tell you the temperatures of the CPU, GPU and Hard Drive. If you can run the Vaio long enough, let us know the temperatures.

http://download.cnet.com/PC-Wizard-2012/3000-2094_4-10793737.html

You can try clearing the vents bu using a small can of compressed air but if there is sticky dust on the fan, you will need to take the Vaio apart to give it a good spring clean.

Alternatively, you may have an ailing hard drive. Try running CHKDSK to see if you have any bad sectors.

Also it could be a faulty fan.

:thinking:

profile.country.el_GB.title
nigiaka
Visitor

my laptop vgn-fe21b does the same thing.does radom restarts or the screen freezes and then i have to turn it off pushing the power button.i hear the same noise too each time it does one or another.no error messages displayed.

took it to the technician.

cleaned the fan and put some paste inside the area.so overheating is not.

replaced all the cards and memorys with some of his and nothing still.

claims that he run some programms that indicate that registry has a problem.

did a format for virus ,nothing after clean install.

payed about 30 eyros for all that and have no diagnosis yet.probably its registry.

after one restart the laptop started to run a check disk .no error message after check.

i still use it with restarts while i am waiting for it to end completely.

in others words if its not overheating ,get ready for bad news.