Join now - be part of our community!

laptop only starts on safe mode

profile.country.en_GB.title
adamslondon
Visitor

laptop only starts on safe mode

Hi guys

I got a vaio fz38m and since thurdays its not been starting up except on safe mode. when i start normally the screen goes obscured and i get the blue screen which says something about uninstalling a new hardware/software. as far im aware iv not made any hardware changes or installed anything new. a week or so prior to this happening the screen would sometimes freeze and go all black for a few seconds then id get a message saying nvidia driver stoppped respnding but has been recoverd.

anyone know what the issues is and how it can be fixed?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
adamslondon
Visitor

abit more info. when i go into safe mode and uninstall the graphic card drivers it then allows me to go into windows normally however as soon i do it automatically downloads the drivers again. when i restart it after that its back to square one.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi  adamslondon,

Have you tried downloading & installing the latest graphics driver from the Sony support site - FZ38M Downloads & Preinstalled Drivers

Are you able to connect your vaio to an external monitor, if so do you get the same problem.?

adamslondon
Visitor

Hi

Thanks for the reply. yes i have tried it and it dont work. basically the only way i can get windows to start normally is by going on safe mode and uninstalled the drivers for the graphics card and restart. once im logged on the laptop automatically downloads the drivers and when i restart after that it dont work. iv tried the link you provided but that only has drivers for the windows vista which gives the same problem. any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

adamslondon wrote:

iv tried the link you provided but that only has drivers for the windows vista which gives the same problem.

What operating system do you have installed on your vaio..:smileyconfused:

adamslondon
Visitor

im using windows 7 enterprise. also when i start windows normally ( once the drivers have been installed) i get the blue screen and the message says its a uncorrectable hardware problem. im on safe mode now

adamslondon
Visitor

is it possible for me to download the latest drivers directly from the nvidia website? i tried it but it keeps saying i have to go to the manufactures website.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

did you have any graphics problems prior to upgrading to windows 7.?

Obviously it's impossible to say if the problem is due to upgrading to windows 7 or the gpu is faulty, only way to be sure would be to recover back to the original OS..

However in answer to your question no unfortunately graphic drivers downloaded form the nVidia website drivers will not install on your Vaio unless you use a modified .inf file..

You may find windows 7 compatible drivers by checking through similar spec'd models on the Sony support site or alternatively at your own risk you could try http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

adamslondon
Visitor

Hi

iv had windows 7 for over a year never had any problem. however a week leading up to this my screen with go off and back on and a message would come up saying 'driver stopped working but been recovered' however a few days later windows stopped started on normal mode. at the moment when i go on device manager and click on display adaptors it says 'standard vga graphics adaptor'. when i download  the new update it comes up as geforce8400 and thats when the problems start

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

I'm sure I replied to this..

Sorry I incorrectly assumed that you had recently upgraded to widnows 7..

I'm not sure if you are aware but your FZ was listed as a model that could have problems with the Nvidia chip - see http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FZ38M/tips-and-solutions

However even if Sony agreed that the nvidia chip in your vaio was one of those with a manufacturing defect I suspect your vaio may be past the four years since purchase so would not qualify for the free repair but I guess you've nothing to loose in asking..

Rich912, another of the forum experts had recalled a similar problem to one you are encountering & the graphics chip was the cause..

Some people have tried a re-flow as this may solve your problem However i would be inclined to contact Vaio support as mentioned above..

Then failing that try contacting one the Sony repair partners in your area for a quote before deciding on your course of action..