Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop screen black

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
julescuk
Visitor

Laptop screen black

I can turn on my Laptop and use it for about 5 minutes then the screen keeps flickering then the screen goes black the lights stay on to say that the laptop is running. I am not very high tec so some advice would be very appriciated thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Julie,

No, this doesn’t sound good. I suspect that there is a problem with the graphics chip – possibly the solder connections. This can sometimes be addressed by a re-flow (melting the solder and then allowing it to re-set).

Google ‘reflow repairs’ for a possible solution.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi julescuk,

Which Vaio model do you own and is it still in warranty?

If you force a reboot does the screen display normally straight away or is it necessary to leave the machine off for a while?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
julescuk
Visitor

Hi I have a Model PCG-61611M It isnt still under warrenty. When the screen goes black I have to press tho off button it starts up again straight away when I switch it on it just asks the usual when you have to switch it off by the button do i want to start windows normally or in safe mode etc. Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi julescuk,

You are quoting the chassis number not the product number; this may possibly be a VPCE series – have a look on the screen surround.

It would seem that you have an intermittent hardware problem that will need investigation by a competent engineer.

When the screen goes black can you try shining a torch on the screen – do you see a faint image? If so this could possibly be an inverter, backlight or cabling problem.

If possible you could also try attaching an external monitor. If this works then it would tend to rule out a graphics chip or driver problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
julescuk
Visitor

Hi sorry it is VPCEE2E1E I will get my son to check the points you mentioned as he is better at stuff like that. I really appriciate all your help Rich Thank you

Julie

julescuk
Visitor

I have tried it with another screen and the same happens on there as well, so I dont think it is looking good

Julie

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Julie,

No, this doesn’t sound good. I suspect that there is a problem with the graphics chip – possibly the solder connections. This can sometimes be addressed by a re-flow (melting the solder and then allowing it to re-set).

Google ‘reflow repairs’ for a possible solution.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat