Join now - be part of our community!

LCD Problems HELP!!!! I'M BLIND!!!!!!!

Screenfreak
Visitor

LCD Problems HELP!!!! I'M BLIND!!!!!!!

Even thought I'm typing this in my relativly out dated PCG-FR415B Vaio's Keyboard, but thats because I spent an hour squinging that the LCD screen to configure the multimonitor to see my desktop.
The problem seems simple, but if one more person tells me "Turn Up the Brightness" I'll smack them one.
During startup, everythings fine, weather heading into safe mode or not, but as soon as the Windows XP progress bar appears, the screen goes almost blank, as if someone put a curtain over it, but u can still see a spectre like view of your precious work, harking back to the good old ghosting effect on CRT monitors.
Now, I know exactly what causes this, I think.
I downloaded the usual batch of the lastest updates from Vaio-link, and I suspect they caused it. I don't know which one did it but I know which file causes the blackout, I think,
ati2gkaf.sys, or something similar. The wonders of safemode.
Any advice more specific than "Brightness" or "Drivers" would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys

9 REPLIES 9
TygerTyger
Visitor

Right you are. Right click on your desktop and choose properties, then go to the Settings tab. At the bottom is a button marked Advanced, click on that. In there you should have a whole bunch of tabs, at least some of which will control the brightness/colours that Windows will use, not the monitor itself. I would imagine that's where the problem lies, have a look around in there a bit.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Also try going back a few days in system restore, this should remove that sys file you were talking about.

Screenfreak
Visitor

Well, it is a built in lcd screen, so the windows thing makes no difference.
and as for system restore I'll try that. But keep the ideas coming please!!!

kee-lo_

Does this happen if you go into the BIOS? Leave it like 5mins to see if the issue occurs.

Screenfreak
Visitor

by bios do u mean the windows safe mode selection prompt from f5? Because the screen is fine up until the windows xp logo and progress bar appear, then it all goes dark. But thanks anyway.
Any idea on how to get into the old style bios that we all know and love from the pre-xp days.
I miss the simplicity

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Right, what Kee-Lo meant you to do is press F2 constantly when the Sony or the VAIO logo(s) appear. Type in any optional password you may have set and you will find you are now in the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility.

Wait here for 5 minutes and see if the problem still appears. Press the right arrow key until Exit is highlighted and select "Exit (Discard Changes)". Confirm you want to Exit by pressing Enter. The computer will now reboot.

kee-lo_

Got it in one James.
Sorry should have been more specific

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Got it in one James.

Going to apply for a part-time job at Staples this afternoon demonstating PC's - might give CV a mention!

kee-lo_

Nice