Join now - be part of our community!

LINUX ACPI SUPPORT

hdibani
Visitor

LINUX ACPI SUPPORT

Would be great if Sony gives back a little and release am ACPI kernel module for their VAIO laptops, they use linux internally and they want to use it on their PS3.
Nvidia made their drivers available, all we need is something like that.
now we habe to use the reverse engineered sonypi module.

what about the like no other thing, if i want to use linux, why can't i ?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hi

Sony don't support Linux I'm afraid, driver availability might be a problem, especially getting your modem and wireless card(s) working correctly.

As for the hotkey service (FN+F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F11 etc), you can download a kernel module which will work with most (but not all) Sony VAIO computers. There are also a number of Sony VAIO specific modules written to take advantage of the temperature monitoring service .
Your mileage may vary here, because some distributions have limited support for Sony VAIO computers, others will not support it as well.

I know SuSE Linux is good on a VAIO Computer, because I've run that for over a year without too much of a problem.

Let me know how you get on, because I have a few bookmarks which may be of some use to you (searching Google, and Sourceforge might be an idea).

Remember it is possible to use Linux on your VAIO, just be prepared to do some manual configuration, and searching the internet for a while to get the resources you need.

Good luck.

hdibani
Visitor

Hi,
Before even posting my question i was already running Ubuntu Eft on my VAIO FE21B.
the sony kernel module comes included in all recent kernels, but as you also said, it does not work on all models.
on my vaio it works partially:

Hibernate OK
Batery stats OK
FN kays KO

the most important feature i am missing, is the ability to ajust the brightness of my screen.
For now i use the nvidia-settings program to change the contrast and brightness.

I just wish sony made their own acpi kernel module (same as what ati and nvidia do with their drivers), that would make a lot of linux users happy, and that will bring more potential customers to Sony.

pmeerw
Visitor

there is a Linux module sony_acpi in Ubuntu Edgy; it allows to control the backlight: eg.

echo "4" > /proc/acpi/sony/backlight

on my VGN-C1S with Edgy at least the function keys to adjust the sound volume do work

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

there is a Linux module sony_acpi in Ubuntu Edgy; it allows to control the backlight: eg.

echo "4" > /proc/acpi/sony/backlight

on my VGN-C1S with Edgy at least the function keys to adjust the sound volume do work

Thanks for the info