Join now - be part of our community!

Little red cross on my speaker icon.

SOLVED
christyldesley
Explorer

Little red cross on my speaker icon.

Hi guys,

So yeah, as the title suggests I have the little red cross on the speak icon towards the bottom left of the screen - it's seems to have been there since I opened the laptop up to clean out the fan.

The headphone jack doesn't work and I've done everything with the drivers so I know it's an internal problem.

My question is could anyone talk me through how to fix this .. 

Any help would be great,

Best regards, Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

No yellow exclaimation mark in device manager?  Is there any audio devices in device manager?  Such as in pic below? (on my laptop)

Something is really screwy anyhow and as you said, drivers installed, ribbon cable seated correctly. To be honest, it might be time to call it in for repairs. 

Device manager.jpg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “christyldesley”

You mean something like this:

audio.png

It’s a bit difficult to damage audio card and install drivers.

Not impossible an issue with cables.

But have you check:

-If you have disable the audio controller on Windows Device Manager

-If, most probably, you have disable the audio device. Here’s a “movie” on How to Enable Audio Device . (More easier link a “movie” than write and read info!!! :nauseated_face: )

Cheers

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
christyldesley
Explorer

Thanks for your reply; I think the main problem is that I don't have any options when I open up the audio screen below - I have a message that states no audio devices are installed ..

printscreen.jpg

Any idea on what to do in this circumstance?

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi Chris

Have you right click in the white box on “audio window” (YouTube video min 0:38-0:48) in order to enable the options that “Show Disabled Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices”?

Cheers

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
christyldesley
Explorer

Yes, that's done dude! 😕

printscreen1.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Hope you dont mind me jumping in here.  On your original post, you said that you opened the laptop to clean out the fans.  Could you have accidently pulled out one of the ribbon cables out?  Depending on the design of a laptop, there may be a ribbon cable that connects to a breakaway PCB board (or it might be soldered in but...the main speaker generally isnt)

Cheers

EDIT: Could look something like this (or similar):

1p-1076501-8010-pic1.jpg

christyldesley
Explorer

Unfortunately mine doesn't look like that .. I've just opened it up and took a few pictures .. If you can have a look and see if you can see anything out of place, becuase I can't.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

I imagine it's something to do with this part; ..

photo.JPG

Any help is much appriciated guys! Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That last picture is the one I was thinking of.  That long thin black cable connecting the USB audio board, to the mainboard is normally the connection that comes unseated.

Looking at it from the USB board side, looks seated to me (even though the flash reflection, refracts it a little).  What is unclear is from the main-board side of things under the sata hdd connection.  I know its fiddly, but check that, that black ribbon is seated securely.

Edit: Ive changed my mind.  That black ribbon cable on the USB audio board side, does not look fully seated.  Make sure that the cable is pushed in as far as possible.  Also, does that black bar click into place??

EDIT again: The two red circles Ive added to the pic, should highlight this (sorry for all the edits:)

Audio PCB.jpg

christyldesley
Explorer

Just opened it back up .. The black strip flicks up and down, I imagine that it has to be down .. Apart from that, it seems very secure and nothing seems loose! 😕 

ARGGHHHHH !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

and it still doesnt work?

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to audio in device manager?