Join now - be part of our community!

Local area connection speeds

profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

Local area connection speeds

Just had BTInfinity fitted my laptop (wireless) is giving me speeds of about 26meg but my desktop VGC RA 304 is only getting 10 meg this machine is connected to the hub via a ethernet cable, the engineer says that this is due to a setting on the local area connection speed.

Any ideas on how to rectify this? 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi tabaheights,

The specifications for this model state that it has a 10/100/1000 Network Card.

If you are not achieving this on a local network then open Device Manager and scroll down to and expand Network Adaptors. Right click on the Ethernet Controller and select Properties.

Click on the Advanced tab and scroll down to Speed & Duplex.

Under Value the setting should be Auto-Negotiation – if this is already the case then try 100 or 1000 Full Duplex.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

When I expand the Network Adaptors I only have two sub menus 1st is: 1394 Net Adaptor and 2nd is: INTEL (R) PRO / 1000MT NETWORK CONNECTION and neither of them have a advanced tab.

any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

tabaheights wrote:

neither of them have a advanced tab.

I have not come across this before but research suggests that you may possibly have set up a network bridge.

To disconnect the bridge under XP:

1.. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
2.. Click the Network and Internet Connections link.
3.. Click the Network Connections link.
4.. Right-click your local area connection.
5.. Select Disconnect from Ethernet Bridge.
6.. Close all windows.

Without the network bridge you may possibly have to make some firewall changes for the two machine to communicate.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

Thanks for your help but it does not do it, I think that I am on the point of going out and buying a new card, Intel wont help as it was fitted in the computer when I bought it?????????

Can anyone reccomend a new card that wont conflict with my VGC RA 304.

profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

What a dummy, decided to take my desktop to a local dealer to resolve this problem, when i took it out of the workstation that it is housed in I found the old Network Ethernet hub that was running on the back of it is a Netgear EN104 with a rating of 10Base only, disregaded this and now I am enjoying speeds of 36 meg. Thanks for the advice apologies for my stupidity.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I'm pleased to hear that you managed to solve your problem:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat