Join now - be part of our community!

May I have my Windows 7 Disk and key?

BlindSummit
Visitor

May I have my Windows 7 Disk and key?

I have contacted Sony about this and am awaiting a reply but I'm just wondering if anyone has an inking as to whether it will be provided and if so, in what format?

I am on my second Vaio now and was extremely displeased to see that yet again, I have 20GB of my harddrive devoted to a recovery partition. I am not an idiot - I don't need an idiot-proof partition - and would prefer the installation CDs as I am a music producer - diskspace is vital. As well as that I would like a dual boot of Mac and Windows as my primary digital audio workstation is Logic Pro. I require "my" operating system installation cd to do this and I can't see any reason why my request would be denied, can you?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry, I replied to your other post first here: -

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/gb/en/forum/viewthread?thread=70017&lastpage=yes

All manufacturers use this method of offering system recovery for consumer models but there is no reason why you should not burn two sets of recovery discs and then remove the recovery partition. The Vaio Recovery Center offers both these options plus the option to recover the C:\ drive only leaving other drive partitions unchanged.

Sony may send you a set of Recovery Discs but they will probably charge for them as you can make them yourself.

As this is an OEM version of Windows and can only be installed on the Vaio you have bought, you are not provided with a valid key as you will not need to activate the reinstallation. Consequently the key on the bottom of your Vaio on the Windows sticker is not a valid key and will not allow you to install this version of Windows on any other PC.

:thinking:

BlindSummit
Visitor

That's ok, there is nothing illegal going on here, if I wanted a pirate version of windows, I'd soon get one. I would just like my installation disks as I want to have the freedom to alter my system knowing that I can fix it if anything doesn't work out.